PDA

View Full Version : Buyers remorse ? Model 10 fcp-sr for tactical precision ?

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

chukarmandoo
08-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Okay, I was able to get the picture up! That right there is amazing in itself. Take note, nothing on this rifle is set and ready to go! I just attached scope , brake, etc. to see it all together. I haven't even cleaned it up yet. I got the stick on Friday and the steel came in the mail on Saturday. I plan to get it out to the range this week. The bad part of this whole thing is I won't be able to set it up the way I want because I have to return the stock when they send me mine. That could be a long long wait? Anyway it will be good to at least send some rounds down range! The setup: Savage model 10, cal. 260, scope Vortex Razor 5-20x50, brake Ross, bi-pod Atlas, sling Riflecraft.

JCalhoun
08-11-2013, 10:26 PM
Nice!

rattfink
08-11-2013, 10:38 PM
That is a sweet rig. Having the opposite side eject is pretty cool. I hope it shoots the lights out and is worth the wait.

chukarmandoo
08-26-2013, 11:30 AM
Well that didn't work. Sorry.

chukarmandoo
08-26-2013, 02:38 PM
http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t564/noplan1/DSCN2215_zps1a7c887e.jpg (http://s1314.photobucket.com/user/noplan1/media/DSCN2215_zps1a7c887e.jpg.html)
Maybe this works? Anyway I was able to get some H4350 from a fellow that I met at the range. So far this is my best group, 5 shots at 100 yds. I think with a little more work it will do 1/2". It will take a little more time to get used to but thats ok.

SFLEFTY
09-05-2013, 11:46 AM
I'm not sure you southpaws understand how really special this factory made rifle is! To be able to buy a "cross-eyed" action like this for not too much over Savage retail in less than 6 mos is amazing! It makes my efforts to convert one look silly. I'm kind of bummed right now.

LongArm
09-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I wish I knew that they would have done a custom one like that. I called defiance machine and got a Deviant action left bolt right port. I am left handed but have always shot right handed guns. Getting into run & gun tact matches drove me to get a left handed rifle. Its nice to be able to check the chamber to see if there is a round in it with out breaking me shooting position! My action took 9 weeks which was fast. Now they are around 15weeks wait time. Good luck with your new rifle. I think you'll love it.

chukarmandoo
09-09-2013, 12:22 PM
I went out shooting with my sons and grandsons Saturday and had a great time! The new stick is working out to be better each outing. I have less than 100 rounds through it and it is accurate to say the least. We were shooting steel out to 530 yds. and some of the hits were amazing. A lot of repeated shots showed only one impact on the steel. I tried to set up the steel as if it was a match with all targets being less than 2 moa at any given distance with the only exception the 66% IPSC. The targets were 25% IPSC, 45% IPSC and the 66% IPSC w/two flappers. One being 7" and the other 2". At 530 we could hit the 2"! We could hit the 7" almost every shot. The 45% was set at 510 and it was seldom missed. The 25% IPSC was set at 330 and it took little effort to make all impacts on that target. One thing I'd like to say is about the barrel. I cleaned it once after 20 rounds with a copper solvent. I did clean it with Hoppe's after every shot for the first 20 rounds. Now I clean it only with Hoppe's after each range session. The only thing I want to remove is the carbon at this time. CBS has been with the main group through my limited testing. The barrel seems to be right up there with the top of the line. Now I Want My Stock. Dan

rattfink
09-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Ha! It sounds like the current stock leaves little room for improvement.

chukarmandoo
09-09-2013, 02:16 PM
Ha! It sounds like the current stock leaves little room for improvement.

It sounds like that but I need to work some things out. I can't put any pressure on the mag, If I do I can't cycle the bolt. I want to install flush cups for the sling etc. I was able to drill out the reinforcing metal on the mag but now that the rounds are loaded out to COAL of 2.922+/- when I single load the rounds they tip down on the bullet end and jamb. The cheek rest is hooky and I want to put a rail on for my bi-pod. So I really need the stock so that I can start to set it up right.

chukarmandoo
09-10-2013, 10:40 AM
[QUOTE=LongArm;204398]I wish I knew that they would have done a custom one like that. I called defiance machine and got a Deviant action left bolt right port. I am left handed but have always shot right handed guns. Getting into run & gun tact matches drove me to get a left handed rifle. Its nice to be able to check the chamber to see if there is a round in it with out breaking me shooting position! My action took 9 weeks which was fast. Now they are around 15weeks wait time. Good luck with your new rifle. I think you'll love it.

LongArm did you just get the action from Defiance or did they build the rifle? If I would have gone that route I think I would have gotten the Defiance. Would like to see a picture of it.

chukarmandoo
10-08-2013, 01:45 PM
Well some encouraging news. Talked to Savage today. They got the stock in which is the main thing but it has now been been shipped out to get inlet-ed for bottom metal. Then will sent out to be painted. No ETA but at-leased there is progress. I do understand the hoops they have to go through to accomplish this build. I will defiantly try the new stock out before I send the loaner back because the loaner is GTG. I told them that but they insisted that the new stock would be better.

rattfink
10-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Well some encouraging news. Talked to Savage today. They got the stock in which is the main thing but it has now been been shipped out to get inlet-ed for bottom metal. Then will sent out to be painted. No ETA but at-leased there is progress. I do understand the hoops they have to go through to accomplish this build. I will defiantly try the new stock out before I send the loaner back because the loaner is GTG. I told them that but they insisted that the new stock would be better.

Good to hear Chuck, sounds like they're taking care of ya ;)
The loaner stock is more than most any other builder would do for you I'd bet.

chukarmandoo
10-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Good to hear Chuck, sounds like they're taking care of ya ;)
The loaner stock is more than most any other builder would do for you I'd bet.

OH, No doubt!

wbm
10-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Might want to think about not cleaning after each session. I can almost promise you that a "dirty" barrel will give you less vertical and extreme spread at long distance than a clean one. Why not try shooting and keeping a tally on rounds fired until accuracy falls off?

JCalhoun
10-08-2013, 03:48 PM
A lot of match shooters clean about every 600 to 800 rounds.

chukarmandoo
10-08-2013, 04:18 PM
wbm, the only thing I'm doing right now is running a wet patch (hoppes #9) followed by a couple dry patches. I do want to remove the carbon. I haven't used a brush on this barrel. Round count is just under 100. I have a couple of interesting targets. the target I posted and another that looks almost identical to it. The interesting thing here is the target I posted those are shots 11-15. The other target that looks just like it is shots 1-5. So my CBS is with the group. I don't think I can ask for more!

On a side note I hope to shoot a match in a couple weeks. I don't think I'll do that good as the stress level is high but at least I know that the rifle is perfect.

chukarmandoo
10-21-2013, 12:58 PM
Well I took the new stick to its first match and was really pleased with how the gun ran. No I didn't do very good but all in all it was a lot of fun. Anyway the rifle is set up pretty good. The only issues I had were the magazines and that was only when they were inserted in the gun a few times. The mag lips need to be worked over to make them feed right. So out of all the mechanical things that can go wrong in a match that was the only problem that I had with the rifle. No failure to feed once I started to run the gun. No misfires. No safety or trigger issues. The bolt ran smooth and cycled every round. Once again I have to give a big shout out to the people at Savage for such a fine rifle! They built it and put more thought into it than I could have expected. I am so pleased with the build.

PS Only wish I was a better shooter to give the rifle the justice it deserves.

chukarmandoo
11-03-2013, 01:26 PM
I think I'll post on this thread till I shoot one match after I get the stock that should have come with the gun. That way it will be a fair analysis of (what I think)the rifle and its intended purpose.So with that being said here goes Tactical Match #2 with this rifle.

Match #2 was a short 4 stage match with low turnout. High winds and rain added to the difficulty but the stages themselves were hard without the weather. Anyway, keeping in mind that most of these shooters are excellent with their rifles and gear, I didn't do to bad. Out of a possible 48 plus some bonus points, witch I did not engage, I scored 20. The high shooter scored 35.
This is my third tactical match ever and and my last two have been big improvements over my first one.
Once again the rifle ran flawless. It will take some time to get used to it and I'm still holding out for the fact that when it is restocked and I can set it up the way I want, my shooting will get better.
My next match will be in early December if I can get in. It will be a two day shoot with the first day being all from the weak side. From what I hear one stage will be 1400 yds. and probably a 2 moa target.

chukarmandoo
11-04-2013, 03:49 PM
So I called Savage today and asked about my stock. Effie sounded shocked and said "you haven't gotten it yet?" I said no. I been away from home for quite a few days. She said let me track it. Answer- It will be delivered by the end of the day.