PDA

View Full Version : Remington brass any good?

mattri
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
Have never tried RP brass, have always used WW and Lapua. But now, due to the shortages I'm having a hard time finding anything at all in 7mm-08.

I have a potential line on some WW and RP brass private sale. I'm leaning toward the WW even though it is twice as expensive- anyone have any experience with RP, how well does it sort out, uniformity, case life?

fgw_in_fla
04-16-2013, 10:37 PM
I've been using Rem brass in my 30.06 & 25.06 for quite a while. It lasts long especially if neck sizing 3 to 4 times before full length sizing. Federal would be my second favorite.

My .243 does best with Winchester. In the larger calibers I don't get as much use out of Winchester brass. They seem to get case head separation after 4 to 6 uses. Then off to the scrap bucket.

I just scored a bunch of Rem brass from a local guy. Once fired & nice -n-clean.....Almost looks new. Anneals nicely.

The way things are with difficulty finding supplies, I'd use whatever I could get my hands on, Adjust your charges as needed...

mattri
04-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Like so many things peoples' experiences seem to be all over the map with this brass. Some have good luck, others not so much.

fgw_in_fla
04-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Yeah.. I know.
Some love it, some love to hate it.

I find with brass, some rifles like specific brands & don't do as well with others. The best groups I've punched were all with Federal brass but again, after the second use I have to switch to CCI primers. The WLR's will fall out of the pocket it's so loose. Then adjust the charge accordingly.

With all the bad luck I've had with Win brass, my .243 does best with it. It hates Rem brass. Go figure.
I find that rifles can be like women. Sometimes there's absolutely NOTHING you can do to make them happy. Other times they're a pain in the 'nads.

bootsmcguire
04-16-2013, 11:53 PM
I'd grab what you can get at this point. With that said, my 22-250 and 243AI seem to do better with WW but my 308 does equally well with WW or Remington, can't really tell a life difference with it. I just bought some Remington 270 WSM brass for my 6mm WSM and it seems to be very decent but can't attest to life at this point. If I have the option I ussually buy WW, but really have nothing against Rem at this point.

I suppose what turned me off of Remington Brass was the first thing I had loaded with it was 44 Magnum and I noticed a lot of variance in the rim diameter and thickness. The WW brass for the 44 Mag was much better. I suppose my preference for WW spawned from that, but I'm giving it a 2nd look out of necessity.

fgw_in_fla
04-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Ya know boots, I find a lot of inconsistency in the Rem brass neck hardness & thickness. If I anneal it after the 1st or 2nd firing, it keeps the neck a little softer and helps consistency.

Fed brass seems to be a little softer & consistent in mouth diameter / neck thickness. Easy to anneal. Seems to work real well in .30 cal rifles. The 25.06 also.

I use the Win or W-W brass for smaller calibers like the 243.

I loaded 41.2gr of IMR4895 in 3 cases - one of each, Fed, Win & Rem. This is my accuracy load for 55gr Sierra Blitzies. Each one shot 1/4 of an inch away from the other(s). It looked like a perfectly spaced diagonal line across the target dot.
Its interesting how variables in the brass can change the ballistics so noticeably.

langenc
05-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I prefer R-P brass. I dont know why, I just like it. Get several reloads/case.

R-P is more available around here, range brass, that is.

EOD350
05-06-2013, 03:43 PM
I have shot R-P, Lapua and Nosler brass in my .260. To be honest the R-P groups are as good as the others Lapua and Nosler. I currently shoot Nosler, annealing every third firing. But, as I said I have very good results with R-P and will not hesitate to shoot it.

bythebook
05-06-2013, 06:36 PM
I have used RP brass in my 243,22-250, 6br, 25-06AI and 25-06, for a long time and haven't had any complaints . The 243 and 22-250 I have several guns in those cali. I have been using Lapua in my 6br but got the chance to buy some 1x fired Rem and figured the way things are I better grab it.

fgw_in_fla
05-08-2013, 05:58 AM
SPeaking of R-P brass, I just found a full bag of brand new 25.06 R-P brass stashed in the back of the cabinet. I must've put it there so I wouldn't forget where I put it.

Or, maybe the brass fairy paid me a visit?

bootsmcguire
05-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Or, maybe the brass fairy paid me a visit?

Give her my address would you?