PDA

View Full Version : Savage model 10 Predator, break-in ?????

Kevin R
01-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Hello,

I just found this forum, I like it.

I just bought a model 10 Predator in 223 for coyote's. I did somewhat of a break-in, 2 shot's and clean for three times then 3-4 shots and clean for 20 rounds.(right or wrong I'm not sure) The first couple 2 shot and 3 shot groups were all touching at 100yrds right out of the box with just cheap PMC 55gr FMJ (perfect I thought). As I cleaned and did more 3-4 shot groups, the groups started to open up a fare bit, why would this happen??
Then I did a 4 shot group with factory Hornady 55gr V-Max(my hunting ammo) , that was a 1 1/4" group at 200yrds witch I'm very happy with for coyotes.
Another question, with that group at 200yrds, should I continue to do more break-in?? Some threads you read say do it for way more then 20 rnds and some say not??? If not how many rounds should I go before cleaning again??

Thanks for the advice.

Kevin.

beradon
01-24-2010, 10:43 AM
Most barrel makers will tell you the "break in" regiment is bologna, especially in a factory barrel. Clean as need and get the cooper fouling out but thats it. With the fast 1 in 9 twist a heavier bullet should perform better - try some 69 grain bullets.