PDA

View Full Version : Overall length of rear-grip striker build

guhunter
04-16-2013, 08:27 PM
As I understand it, you can build a rear grip striker like pistol on a rifle action so long as it meets the proper criteria (16"+ barrel and 28"+ overall). My question is, what does the overall length typically come in at with a rear grip stock and 16" barrel? Does the barrel need to be longer to meet the overall length requirement?

bootsmcguire
04-16-2013, 11:03 PM
16" barrel minimum and 26" OAL minimum is what I just read at the ATF website. I just measured a 4.40 Short action, and near as I can figure it, from the back of the tang on the action to get the 26" OAL you would need an 18 1/2" barrel, but the stock itself will add at least 1" if not more, so depending on the stock you get, it is entirely possible to use a 16" barrel. If you build using a Long Action you gain between 1" and 1.25" assumming all else is the same.

sharpshooter
04-17-2013, 12:57 AM
You can't build a pistol on a rifle action, period. If you want an SBR, you need a tax stamp. You can use a un-designated action to build a pistol. There are no minimum or maximum lengths on a pistol barrel.

guhunter
04-17-2013, 06:46 AM
You can't build a pistol on a rifle action, period. If you want an SBR, you need a tax stamp. You can use a un-designated action to build a pistol. There are no minimum or maximum lengths on a pistol barrel.

True, but so long as it meets the barrel length and overall length requirements, it is a rifle regardless of what it looks like (rear grip striker).

Nor Cal Mikie
04-17-2013, 09:42 AM
If the barrel is "at least" 16" long, it's still a rifle. Anything shorter than 16" makes it a SBR (short barreled rifle). Then the Tax Stamp is needed.
Do a search and decide for yourself. ("BATF July 25,2011") It's the measurements that count.

guhunter
04-17-2013, 03:50 PM
I know what the law reads. I know that it has to have a minimum 16 inch barrel and posted that in the initial post. I was only wondering if one used a 16 inch barrel, could you meet the overall length requirement or if a longer barrel is needed to meet the minimum overall length requirement.

Nor Cal Mikie
04-17-2013, 07:34 PM
With a 16" barrel, the OAL will come in at 27" to the bottom point of the pistol grip. I just checked and measured.