PDA

View Full Version : HS Precision Stock - Butt pad removal

jaycee
01-24-2010, 08:46 AM
Hi Guys /Gals ..

Finally figured that if i want to shoot prone with my back condition I'm going to need to make the comb of the stock adjustable.
I know there are velcro , and ready made items to do this .. but i figure it ain't rocket science and i'm also the kinda guy that gets a lot of satisfaction from doing it myself. I was also thinking of making the butt pad adjustable so it fits my shoulder better in a prone position.

I've thought about how to do it and what sort of changes i need to make to give me a simple but repeatable raised cheek weld.

Well I never looked before , but on the HS-Precision stock on my 10FP .308 there are no signs of access holes for a screwdriver in the recoil pad. Surely the pad isnt just glued on.?

As my dad used to say ..
When in doubt .. ask , there is no such thing as a stupid question, it's how we learn stuff.

So .. anyone who's ever had one of these apart care to comment on the best method of removal ..?

???

WaltherP99
01-24-2010, 09:48 AM
There should be little slits cut in the pad for screwdriver access. You'll have to pull the pad apart at the edges to get the slits to show themselves.

viper9696
01-24-2010, 09:51 AM
I think on the Hs stocks they are glued on ,read something about freezing the stock and giving it a smack with a deadblow hammer

here is a link

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1085239

Senderofan
01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
I had the pad come off on my Remington Sendero ( Came from the factory with and H-S Precision stock ) and it is definately glued on. Called the company....they said use two part epoxy...which is what I did.

Wayne

Senderofan
01-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Also forgot...I installed a Karsten adjustable cheekpiece to my BVSS and my Remington 5R Milspec ( also a H-S Precision stock ). Carefully drill to holes and install...very easy and does a nice job.

Good Luck,

Wayne

jaycee
01-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks to all ..

Just glued on then ?

Of course now ive started trying to refigure out how to make it adjust up and down too ..
something like this idea should be easy to do with two alloy plates .. one glued to the stock with a diagonal slot and the other
mounted to it with an adjustable screw or hex nut .

http://www.helstongunsmiths.com/shop/images/PAD.785.jpg

Think thats possible ?

Senderofan
01-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Guess it's worth a try. You'll notice that much of the glue is around the edge of the stock ( once you get the recoil pad off). The middle is substantially hollow. Hopeflly there would be enough surface area for the epoxy to grip the metal.

I think the freezer method would be the way to go...forgot to mention that. Mine came off deer hunting in some very cold conditions.

Good Luck....let us know how it goes.

Wayne

jumpalot
01-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Put stock in freezer for a few hours then put recoil pad in vice with the stock sticking up and gently start prying back and forth. That's how we got my buddy's off. Then you can epoxy some wood pieces in the hollow part to screw the new pad to. Not a difficult job.