PDA

View Full Version : Savage stocks interchangeable?

Kevlak
04-14-2013, 10:00 PM
Hello everyone,

First off, I'm new to savage shooters. I had a quick question if any one had info that would be great. I have a savage 114 left hand long action with accutrigger and a detachable mag. I busted the stock and looking for a replacement, I have tried boyds and Richards for a replacement but they don't make them in left hand. I've heard maybe I could use a 111 stock instead? Or maybe someone know where I can pick one up, I also live in Canada so I'd need the company or person to ship here, as I said before any info would be great!

Thanks,
Kevin

bootsmcguire
04-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Any Left handed Long action stock will fit, the only thing you need to determine is if you have a Staggerfeed (mag box stays attached to the action when removed from stock) or a Centerfeed (mag stays in stock when action is removed from stock).110,111,112,114, and 116 are all basically the same stock fit, so if it lists for any of those numbers and has a spacing of 5.062", you should be good. If you run out of options, you can fit a RH stock to your LH action by cutting the notch for the bolt handle to fit into. All the inletting should be otherwise the same. Now some stocks may have a RH cant to them, so you'll have to check that out but many don't. Just a thought incase you can't find a lefty anywhere up there.

Kevlak
04-14-2013, 11:08 PM
Oh wow, I do have a centerfed detachable mag, so in other words I can order a 111 stock in a left handed version from boyds and it will work on my 114?

squirrelsniper
04-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Other than the obvious left-hand requirement, the stock just has to meet three criteria; long action, centerfeed, detachable mag. Other than that, the 110/111/112/114/116 stocks are interchangeable.

bootsmcguire
04-15-2013, 12:29 AM
And if you had to, you can convert to blind mag with the mag body and follower from your DBM since the body and follower are the same for DBM and Blind Mag. You just pop it off the DBM floor plate and get an "L" clip.

big honkin jeep
04-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Converting a factory right handed synthetic to left handed is also an option. It can be done with any of the proper right handed stocks but it's just easier to hide the fill and cutout of the bolt handle recess on a synthetic.

jpdown
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Oh wow, I do have a centerfed detachable mag, so in other words I can order a 111 stock in a left handed version from boyds and it will work on my 114?

Yes, a Boyd's Savage LA LH stock with detachable magazine cut-out will work. They will ship to Canada. But according to their web site, they can't ship a rifle stock over $100.00 international. I would call them to discuss options via phone.

stangfish
04-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Make sure you dont pick up an accustock designed for a trigger gaurd bolt release. There may be some clearance issues.

Kevlak
04-18-2013, 10:11 PM
Yes, a Boyd's Savage LA LH stock with detachable magazine cut-out will work. They will ship to Canada. But according to their web site, they can't ship a rifle stock over $100.00 international. I would call them to discuss options via phone.

Yeah I found that out, they won't even take 2 bucks off to ship it here, hopefully they have a sale soon, I've heard other people talk about a 4th of July sale, but we'll see.

ww1rdb
05-22-2013, 10:17 PM
from what I can tell most should fit..I have all left handed rifles..in fact Savage lost me a bit as a fan because I cant buy a new gun in left hand clip fed..and I love them have for years...

ok my brother called Boyds as he is right handed and liked the stock..he was told they make stocks for clip fed BUT do not make them for the older guns with clip release button on side of the stock, only for the bottom release on the newer guns..also it seems when we looked they did make a lefty but not the old style..

the amazing thing with Savage is the only difference between a left and right hand gun was the cut out for the bolt, even the button release was on same side..I would think if you are good with filler or bedding compound you could just fill the bolt cut out and notch the other side...I actually have a new factory stock for a left hand long action clip fed..not sure why I never put it on my old rifle..

this is the corker with the "new" Savage company..ok they make clip fed guns in right hand..they make rifles in left hand, and I called an they told me they could do any thing I wanted in left that they make in right but would cost me like $1500...if they had been in 71 like now I woludn't ever bought a Savage...

thomae
05-23-2013, 06:48 AM
Check out Numrichs on the web. They might have some left handed stocks. Don't know if they ship to Canada, however.

Hard H2O
05-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Is the bolt release on the same side on the RH and LH actions?

ww1rdb
05-23-2013, 01:32 PM
no the only difference you can see between a lefty and a righty is the bolt handle is on the right or left but the release for both bolt and clip is on same side no matter weather the gun is left or right handed..

so what I was getting at is if you are handy at bedding and filling work, you could that the stock from a left hand 110 cl and make it for a right hand stock just by changing side for the colt handle in stock..wish I had a picture and I would show you..I have 3 left hand clip fed rifles and 2 that are blind mags..my sone has a right handed 110 cl..you could probably do some searching for pictures to see what I mean..sorry guess I am not good at explaining things..

oh yes and there are severl left and right handed stocks on eBay..usually sellers can be pursuaded to ship to Canada also..

kuduman
05-23-2013, 05:32 PM
from what I can tell most should fit..I have all left handed rifles..in fact Savage lost me a bit as a fan because I cant buy a new gun in left hand clip fed..and I love them have for years...

The Predator Max guns come in left hand-- and have detachable mags.

They have the dreaded feature of the bolt-release being on the trigger guard though.

ww1rdb
05-23-2013, 06:49 PM
hahaha ok thanks...I went and looked on Savage and seems they have added some others to the off side as well...trouble is I am used to the old style..oh well sometimes as we age change is NOT our friend...

blfuller
05-24-2013, 10:21 AM
Also the Accu-Stocks will not fit on the standard stock models. This is due to the barrel lug being narrower on the Accu-stock models and wider on the standard models.