PDA

View Full Version : Extractor

JimmyKorn483
04-14-2013, 07:21 PM
Hello Fellow Savage guys,

I think i have a extractor issue.

rifle shot great a a few weeks ago.

I do all reloading for the long action. (running FL sized win brass with .002" should bump, and OAL of 2.9" for Berer 210s.)

I was curious about my headspace so i was dumb and bought a set of crappy forester go and no go gauges and thats where the problem begins.

neither would allow the bolt to close in my rifle .

NOW i went to shoot my rifle and none of my cases will allow the bolt handle to close.

I did get one to close but put a nice nick in the base of my case. inspected another case adn it did it again on another case.

What can you guys tell me.. this has me very upset..

thank you guys your great.

Jimmy.

scope eye
04-14-2013, 07:42 PM
Hi Foster makes quaity stuff, and just because you could close the bolt before, does not mean your head space was or is right, I am siding with the fosters on this one, try setting it to the gauges spec's and then try cycling a few, and go from there.

Tanks Dean

WYcoyote
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Factory barrel?

JimmyKorn483
04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the info..

Im thinking there is nothing wrong with my rifle.. Barrel is a Krieger and was bulilt by a top end smith in MT. the rifle has always shot better then 1/2moa out to 1500yds, CONSISTANTLY... Sometimes even better then 1/3.

I took the rifle out a few weeks ago and shot some and it work as expected with no issue.

I was having an issue with a 243 and possible headspace which got me thinking and figured i'd check the headspace on my magnum.. I bought Forester guages.. I tried a go gauge and i couldn't close the bolt, and i tired a no guage and it wouldn't close as expected. Called them and talked to them, nice enough but they had no explaination on what it could be. So im sending their stuff back.

I wouldn't think the guages could screw something up, but i guess it did, because now not one case will chamber and the ones i sorta work to get the bolt handle to close, they leaves a nice nick on the case base.

i havent taken the extractor apart yet but what is everyones thoughts????

This rifle was running flawlessly prior to Foresters tools to check headspace.

fclark2
04-15-2013, 12:11 AM
Jimmy,

There is a definite possibility that you damaged your extractor when you used the head space guage. The extractor should be removed prior to checking headspace. I would recommend removing the extractor and checking to see what the headspace on the rifle is at that point. If headspace comes out correct I would replace the extractor and see how the weapon fired at that point.

stangfish
04-15-2013, 06:39 PM
I would remove the extractor first thing and start my checks. You will know something PDQ.

ready_on_the_right
04-15-2013, 09:43 PM
OK educate me here. if you make sure and slide the gauge under the extractor as an actual round would why is it necessary to remove it? Assuming of course you don't try the hercules method of closing the bolt.

Mike

stangfish
04-15-2013, 10:24 PM
if you make sure and slide the gauge under the extractor as an actual round would why is it necessary to remove it?

It isn't. A little bit rhetorical but... Do you slide the lip of the gauge under the exractor when you are headspacing? Have you ever experienced this problem? How did you handle it?

ready_on_the_right
04-15-2013, 11:33 PM
I've done a total of one with no ejector to deal with, but I did slip it under the extractor and close the bolt, then screw barrel on.

Mike

stangfish
04-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Excellent! I never do that and I know it is dangerous but if I open the bolt and the gauge extracts I feel comfortable. I'm lazy like that. So we are here with a gentleman that had a functioning rifle, bolt and chamber. The new headspace gauges did not allow the bolt to close. Then the same cartridges that were previously fored in the gun no longer fit. Nothing else changes. Now we can call the man a dumb **** or we can give him the opportunity to discover the source of the issue. I like the later.