PDA

View Full Version : 111 Long Range Hunter 7mm mag info

PillpusherPDX
04-14-2013, 02:35 PM
Hey guys!
I've been lurking around here for awhile and have been in the market for a precision bolt gun. Basically, I will use the rifle for long range target shooting (300-1000m) and occasional hunting. I was originally thinking about the .30-06, but after doing some ballistics homework I think a 7mm magnum would better suit my needs.
I haven't been able to find much info about this rifle and was hoping some of you could share your experience or impressions of it. Specifically, will it do what I want it to or are there better options? Just want to get some feedback before I drop some serious coin on a rifle and scope setup (looking at an SWFA Super Sniper 10x for an optic).
Thanks!

masterblaster
04-15-2013, 10:15 PM
Held a 300 win mag 111LR yesterday, its pretty light, picked up a 111 XP in 300 win mag tonight will put heavy barrel with better brake on it and call it a day. Take a look at the Bushnell 10x elite before you jump on the SS scope, have both and prefer the bushy unless you are going mil mil.

PillpusherPDX
04-17-2013, 05:27 PM
I really like the characteristics of the 7mm cartridge, but I'm not set on the LRH I just thought it would be a good platform.
Here's a question:
Let's say instead of spending ~$900 on that rifle, I decided to do my own build. I can get a new savage 111 hunter XP with the Bushy scope for ~400. Would it be possible to build a rifle that would meet or exceed the capabilities of the LRH for the same price? I'd like to center the rifle around the 180gr Berger bullets so a 26" heavier contoured barrel with a 1/9" twist would be ideal (I believe the LRH is a 1/9.5").
I'm a total noob to savage rifles and long-range bolt guns in general so I would appreciate any suggestions for quality/budget friendly components to use for such a build. I really enjoy working on guns although I'm no gunsmith. So if I could get a better rifle that I built myself for the same money as a factory offering I think I would be very pleased. Also, if there's a factory savage rifle that fits my criteria better than the LRH I'm open to any suggestions!

masterblaster
04-17-2013, 11:23 PM
Look at gun finder on the savage site you can sort by caliber. I just ordered a Choate tactical stg feed stock $200, 28 " Criterion Bull with all the install tools and parts needed $500 ($300 for bbl), bottom metal, machining and magazine $350, Sav 2 Trigger $150. Still need scope mount and rings $200, Rail attachment $20, Paint $5. Savage 111 $420. $1640 total for a new gun. I am okay with this, its a disease.

shoalwater
04-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Just buy an action from Jim at NSS for $300, plus a barrel, recoil lug, barrel nut, and tools. Should be around $700 for all that, buy a stock of your choice and get after it. Get the HD model SWFA scope, it's a lot of glass for the money.