PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Need help with Model 820B breech bolt assembly

Angelo225544
04-12-2013, 11:17 PM
I have looked everywhere, but have been unable to find instructions for re-assembling the breech bolt for my Model 820b shotgun. Specifically, the 2 extractors are different from one another, and so are the extractor plungers. I ordered all new parts from Numrich, but the parts diagram on their website does not definitively identify which is left and which is right, and the parts arrived in unmarked bags. Any help will be greatly appreciated...Angelo.

Mad Dog
04-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Sorry can't help, the parts list I have show the same thing, both sides look identical to me as well in the book.

Angelo225544
04-14-2013, 04:19 PM
Ok, I have solved this by trial and error. The 2 extractors AND extractor plungers are slightly different because the left extractor is designed to release the shell rim first, as the shell comes into contact with the ejector. By releasing the left side first, the shell is effectively flipped out through the port in the right side of the receiver. The left extractor is prevented from popping out of the bolt by the receiver, so it uses a simple flat-top plunger. The right extractor has a slightly deeper and better defined recess, and the right side plunger is responsible for holding the extractor in the bolt as the bolt passes through the side port. So, the right plunger has a well defined "step" which is designed to prevent the right extractor from popping out of the bolt. These differences are so subtle, I can't help but think there are many Stevens 820s not functioning properly - in my case there was one incorrect spring, one incorrect plunger and some wear to both ejectors, all of which led to inconsistent feeding. It now works exactly as Stevens' meant it to... which is quite well.

Mad Dog
04-14-2013, 06:54 PM
Well that makes sense, I'll defiitely remember that down the road.