PDA

View Full Version : .223 ammo questions...help!

buffres
04-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Just bought a new .223 savage axis and since this is a "big bore" for me...I'm used to 22s so the ammo thing is kind of confusing and I could use a little clearification. Yes, I'm a real novice but willing to learn from people with experience....I'm teachable!

Since I'm going to varmint hunt ...groundhogs, etc. the gun shop sold me 40 grn .223 rounds.

Now I find out rounds a hard to find (an understatement) here's the questions.

1) Since its' a bolt action can I shoot 5.56? The factory guys say only that "savage does not recommend that round" for the .223. The local gun shops say "since its' a bolt action it shouldn't be a problem".

2) What about the grain? I bought some 55 grn ( 2 boxes..one 5.56 and one .223). The factory says only 69 grn...that in their words "the 40 grn won't go anywhere".

3) Why is the term "full metal jacket" important?

4) Is this ammo thing something new or what is driving it? I was amazed when I went to buy more rounds. I can't find enough rounds to sight the thing in!

Sorry for all the questions...thanks for the help in advance.

bootsmcguire
04-12-2013, 08:08 PM
1) It is not recommended to shoot 5.56 in a 223 chambered gun due to the 5.56 ammo being loaded to higher pressures. Some people do it and are still around to talk about it, but its just not a good idea.

2) 55gr is kind of the "standard" weight bullet for 223. You can go heavier for more energy at longer distances, or lighter for faster and flatter trajectories. For most general shooting with the 223 the 50 or 55gr bullets are a decent balance at most reasonable distances.

3) Full Metal Jacket or FMJ means that the bullet is totally encased in a copper jacket. There is no hollow point or balitic tip to get the bullet to upset and expand. So an FMJ basically just punches a hole and keeps on going.

4) The ammo shortage is driven mostly by consumer demand after Obama being elected to his 2nd term and all the talk and proposals on gun control. People are stocking up and it has created a major ammo shortage. Eventually this should end and supplies will get back to normal. This happened to a lesser degree when he was initially elected to office for his 1st term. 223 ammo will be one of the harder ones to find due to it being the ammo for most of those "evil black rifles" that they want to ban.

fgw_in_fla
04-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Ordinarily I'd say don't listen to that guy...
He'll try to talk you into stuff that'll get you in trouble but in this case he's on the money. Guys I know shooting the .223 keep their ammo sources a secret they'd take to the grave before they'll divulge the info.
You might want to consider reloading for your next OCD / Addiction. Look around your local range & start collect .223 brass now.

Good luck.
How ya doin' Boots?...

bootsmcguire
04-12-2013, 08:28 PM
Doing great Frank. Listening to me may be questionable at times, but I'll bet you will agree that buying my slightly used barrels when they pop up is always a good idea. ;) But the again some people can be talked into anything. http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/thumb_zps1839369f.gif (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/bootsmcguire/media/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/thumb_zps1839369f.gif.html)

fgw_in_fla
04-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Doing great Frank. Listening to me may be questionable at times, but I'll bet you will agree that buying my slightly used barrels when they pop up is always a good idea. ;) But the again some people can be talked into anything. http://i747.photobucket.com/albums/xx111/bootsmcguire/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/thumb_zps1839369f.gif (http://s747.photobucket.com/user/bootsmcguire/media/ICONS%20and%20Forum%20Stuff/thumb_zps1839369f.gif.html)

You're right.... Some people can be talked into anything.
Then there's me. I can be talked into EVERYTHING.

So.... Got anything for sale?

bootsmcguire
04-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Not currently, but of course you're my first call when I do.

buffres
04-16-2013, 02:33 PM
thanks for the answers guys....clears upsome questions i had

seems like there is a lot of mis-information out there...even from the factory

guess I will save the box of 5.56 the gunshop guy sold me and sell it to somebody...it is like google stock, isn't it? just keeps going up around here if you can even find it

see you on the range

gto

WuzYoungOnceToo
04-18-2013, 10:14 AM
It is an unfortunate fact that, more often than not, "the gun shop guy" is completely full of sheep dip, and listening to him (or anything else you overhear in a gun shop) is a bad bet. Sometimes I honestly think the answer to, "Which is the source of the most misinformation about firearms?" is a toss-up between The Brady Campaign and gun shop conversations. ;-)

BRIAN G
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Owning a .223 sucks right now. I am unable to shoot my favorite target gun because I have a grand total of 47 bullets for it and that's it. 69gr SMK's are a distant memory. I'm praying that now that the black rifle ban scare is over that the manufacturers can catch up and allow me to do a little hoarding of my own. I wasn't doing much shooting back in 08 so I didn't realize how deep this was going to go. I got used to just buying stuff as I needed it. Hang in there and hopefully it'll get better soon.

Pilgrim
04-20-2013, 08:47 PM
I reload all my ammo. And, I went to school after the '08 election and made sure I had enough components to last several YEARS. Thus, I don't have to participate in ammo shortages.

Reloading is a wonderful complementary hobby to guns and shooting. Just sayin'.

maxl
04-20-2013, 09:20 PM
+1 Pilgrim I did the same thing after 08, give it a few months and things should start getting better, if not go to the local gun clubs and talk to a few guys they MIGHT have a line on some ammo. I personally get email alerts on my phone when I have stuff on my wish list at various internet suppliers when something comes available you can place your order within seconds and get a few while supplies last.Good luck

groaner71
05-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Just wanted to add my opinion regarding fmj ammo. I won't use it anymore. Due to the jacketed design, you will not get clean kills most of the time, especially on anything bigger than a Prarie dog as it just punches a hole straight through . Even crows will often fly off, to die a very short time later. Additionally, there is the issue of ricochet. Fmj bullets will almost always ricochet when shooting flat, if you are at a range, no big deal, but if you are on an acreage/farm like me, I like to know that the bullet stops when it impacts anything. The ballistic tip bullets will give me both of these considerations. Just my opinion, and food for thought.

Sent from my GT-I9100M using Tapatalk 2

thomae
05-01-2013, 07:27 AM
69gr SMK's are a distant memory. Yesterday, at one of my local Wal Marts, although they didn't have much, they did have several boxes (perhaps 4?) of 69 grain SMKs for $22 and change. I already have a few thousand, so I didn't buy them.

scope eye
05-01-2013, 07:47 AM
There is a local gun shop that has these 55gr FMJs for $20.00 per 100, they are made in California I don't know the brand but they shoot well, they don't do mail order but if anyone wants any, I will do them a solid and mail them some, "I am doing this to help forum members avoid going into deep depression" I know they are not your dream bullets but if it allows you to go shooting for short money, hey that's something especially nowadays, they also have them in 500ct please PM me.

Tanks Dean

Dr Honda
05-02-2013, 08:31 AM
$20 per 100 for 55gn FMJ !! That SUX !! I bought some Amscor a few weeks ago from Midway for $9 per 100. Needless to say... they sold out in about an hour. (lol)

BUT... as you said... it's not easy to find right now... and you are doing a very nice thing by helping others. (thanks)