PDA

View Full Version : Choate really stepped it up

kelbro
04-11-2013, 11:06 PM
I used a Choate Ultimate Varmint for a few years. Nice heavy stock but pretty plain, generic, and kind of homely. Shot well with it but the ribs on the bottom made it tough in the bags.

I bought one of the Tactical Custom stocks a few weeks ago for my F-Class rig and this is a fantastic stock. Nicer looking and better finished than any of the other Choates that I've seen. Very stable on the bipod or rest. The only 'issue' is the weight. They are heavy. It puts me just under legal for F/TR but it's worth it. I'm thinking about laying a custom paint job on it soon.

Being lefty, and shooting Savage 10s really limits your choices on stocks. I have one of Kevin's Stockades with the adjustable cheekpiece that I have used for several years. It's a great stock and lighter than the Choate. I will be adding the adjustable buttplate to it soon which will add a little weight. I would have bought another one but needed this one inside his leadtime window.

Bottom line is that they aren't cheap but it seems like a solid platform that will last a couple of generations of rough handling. If you don't need the adjustable cheekpiece and buttplate, the Tactical can be purchased relatively inexpensively.

6mmBR_Shooter
05-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Have you considered putting on one of the kydex type adjustable cheekpieces to it? Seems like that would be a more cost effective way of getting that adjustment. Would probably also be lighter than the factory Choate adjustable piece.

devildogandboy
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I just received my "tactical" last week and I am impressed with it. looks to be a quality stock and the action fits it really well. as for the weight that's no problem, it's getting an 6.5creedmoor varmint contour barrel on it and I don't mind heavy. I basically will be shooting paper most of the time from the bench. waiting to get my McGowen barrel so I can put this thing together and go shooting.

Balljoint
05-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Yes the kydex cheek rest is the way to go

rt07
06-10-2013, 07:35 AM
Been on the fence about one of these, I'll probably start the search for one.

missed
06-10-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm going to get one and build a Kydex riser for mine and a tactical works shell holder for it. I can't wait!