PDA

View Full Version : Tell me why this won't work-barrels with the nut

Pages : 1 [2]

Bradley Walker
05-02-2013, 03:49 PM
You could try Rocksett. It's a brand of threadlocker/adhesive that has the added bonus of not being suceptable to degradation due to high heat.

I want to be able to glue the nut as an afterthought like the guy did in the article. Instead of actually putting anything on the threads during headspacing. I am afraid it will go everywhere. Maybe not. I know Red Loctite sets up fast.

stangfish
05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
Loctite hs a threadlocking product that is designed to "wick" into threads after torquing. I believe it can be purchased with both the blue and the red properties. I could be wrong. If I remember correctly it is green and something like product number "290" . I was in a seminar with the Regional Rep Tuesday and he stated that the use of the primer makes the adheasives much more effective.

Nandy
05-02-2013, 06:13 PM
Stangfish, yes, it is green.
Bradley, what I have done is set the head space. then thread the nut forward as far as it will go then drop one drop of loctite, maybe another at the opposite side. The loctite dont go too far and all you have to do is replace the lock nut back where it was before which will take a few seconds... Or you can just pin it. I think both process will work the same. Good luck.

Bradley Walker
05-03-2013, 10:25 AM
I wonder if I could use those adhesives to glue the lug to that action?

Nandy
05-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Doubt any of those adhesive will do much to keep your lug glued to the action. One of the articles that I read suggested to bed the lug together with the action with a tape around it. That will keep the lug from going anywhere and still have some clearance as not to affect your accuracy and be able to remove it when you remove the action. This also added some leverage to the acton when applying torque to the barrel during the installation and removal of it. That is what I did, still havent been able to try the barrel switching but I hunted with my action/lug bedded that way and if I recall right my 7mm rm shoots groups under .5" at 200 yds.

stangfish
05-03-2013, 06:12 PM
I wonder if I could use those adhesives to glue the lug to that action?

Locktight has some stuff that will keep it glued to the action. The rep glued two washers together and then glued to thumbnuts together and you could not break them apart. It was a cyanoacrylate glue. They also have a product that holds bearings and bushings in place even if the bore is .005+ oversize.