PDA

View Full Version : Centerfire Looking at a Savage 20 in .300 Savage.

Bugle1
04-08-2013, 09:23 PM
An old Savage Model 20 in .300 Savage came up for sale in the local classifieds yesterday and I left a message with the seller but never got a reply so figured it had sold. Well, the owner called this evening and still has it and I'm scheduled to look at it on Wednesday. I read an article on these years ago and thought they would make a sweet old hunting rig but never saw one for sale until now.

I rarely (never) attend gun shows so don't know what even a ball park value is, on something like this, other than what I've seen on the web $0-$900? It apparently was an inheritance from his father-in-law and he is looking to finance a new hunting rifle for his son. It was advertised at $600 but when I spoke with him on the phone he said it was a misprint and that he was looking to get $700 since it had the Lyman peep on it. Said he had it appraised by a gunsmith and the gunsmith mentioned that it was likely varnished but doesn't think it was refinished. The stock looks kind of clean relative to the bluing wear so I'd lean toward refinished. Apparently has a chip in the stock but the tang is not split at all. holes were drilled for the sling but no holes drilled for a scope. Some bluing wear which doesn't bother me provided there is no rust. I have an interest in this rifle but don't want to get raked on the deal. Would it have to be minty to bring $700?

Was wondering if those of you with more gun savy than myself could give me some idea of what top dollar would be on a gun like this? I'm supposing it's more "shooter grade" than a collectible so I'm thiking his asking price is a bit high no? Been a while since I've been to the forum and don't have permission to post image attachments or I'd put a few up.

I'm grateful for any help!

Mad Dog
04-14-2013, 04:00 PM
A minty 1920 will bring over $1000, one thats been refinished in any way will bring $600-$650.