PDA

View Full Version : Bad Remington 7 1/2 BR Primers?

hcpyro13
04-08-2013, 09:11 PM
So started reloading for the little 20 today for the first time. Loaded up 32 rounds for a ladder in fireformed Nosler brass to test out today. Second shot was a dented primer with no ignition, and I stopped after the hangfire on the 22nd. I've never worked with the Remington primers, is this a common issue? Anybody have any experience with these?

82boy
04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Usually Remington 7 1/2 primers are great. Are you shure you don't have an ignition problem with your gun?

Apache
04-08-2013, 11:12 PM
One cause for that is the primers not being seated all the way to the bottom of the primer pocket....not saying that's what you have, but it is something to check.

hcpyro13
04-08-2013, 11:28 PM
The gun has shown no signs of ignition problems, with strong primer strikes although not many shots through the gun. I seated all of the primers with a hand primer with a solid seating. Those were the obvious places to start searching for an issue. I was thinking I just got a bum box off of the shelf. I had never worked with the remington primers before and to be honest was hoping for better results.

eddiesindian
04-08-2013, 11:58 PM
not sure of the hardness of the rem primers but ive had strikes on mil surplus ammo that didnt go off. i knew it was the adj. on my savage but i didnt worry about it becasue i didnt plan on using that ammo anyway. it lights up cci 200/fed 210 just fine

irondog54
04-14-2013, 01:01 AM
Make sure your primer pockets are clean, and the primers a seated all the way.

fgw_in_fla
04-14-2013, 05:51 AM
I've had the happen too often with Remington primers BOTH for my pistols & rifles.

I've been using CCI & Winchester with no problems. Except for about a year ago when the Winchester primers were burning thru the back & toasted the bolt faces.

Winchester made good on it & paid for new bolt heads (x3) & 2 new boxes of WLR's....
The kind that only burn out the opening.
The Remington primers have been sitting in the cabinet for about 2 years. Emergency use only.

hcpyro13
04-14-2013, 11:15 AM
I still have a pile of them, and with current availability I don't think I'll be giving up on them just yet. Nice to hear some other opinions of them.