PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 ?

Rick P
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Picked up a new model 10P-5r, and haven’t been able to find much out about it.
308 heavy 18” barrel with accuratrigger, 4 round box mag with release in front of the trigger guard and a less than desirable stock.

Any other input would be helpful.

Thanks
RwP

1ShotKing
04-08-2013, 08:42 PM
You can try going on the Savage Arms website and put your serial number into the part finder. It should tell you the model name, if that helps you any.
https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

1ShotKing

stangfish
04-08-2013, 09:35 PM
18" barrel?

Rick P
04-09-2013, 07:46 AM
I’ve tried Savage web-site and s/n no luck, also have e-mailed couple days ago and haven’t heard back.
Yes 18” barrel, with tactical bolt handle.

RwP

bodywerks
04-09-2013, 10:36 AM
Is it an all plastic stock or their accustock with an aluminum pillar?
Regardless, what do you want to know? It's a model 10. It's a good action. Don't sweat the bolt release in the trigger guard. It won't limit your ability to upgrade to a better stock and there are companies that make aftermarket bottom metal to accommodate it. It can also be modified to be a traditional bolt release fairly easily.

Rick P
04-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Stock is plastic, and have not seen any upgrades for a stock or any ten round mags..

Joe L
04-09-2013, 11:42 AM
All I see is a Model 10 FP-SR and it has a 22" barrel and no Accustock. I have an FCP-K and have removed the brake and added the sight rail mount but only have the 4 round magazine. It has an Accustock and is a .5 moa shooter at 500 yards. I'm not changing anything on it. Very happy with it as is.

Joe

Rick P
04-09-2013, 01:19 PM
Gun Broker#335301385 has one but says it's a 20" barrel.

Ill try to post a picture tonight.

RwP

pitsnipe
04-09-2013, 01:25 PM
10 round CF mags are available from Darkeagle Custom. Just purchased two. Fit and finish are TOP NOTCH. He uses Savage mags and modifies them to take 6 more rounds. But an 18" barrel sounds short for any factory Savage I have heard of. Where did you get it? Maybe it was a special build for that retailer. What is the twist of the barrel?
Good Shootin!

Rick P
04-09-2013, 01:39 PM
10 round CF mags are available from Darkeagle Custom. Just purchased two. Fit and finish are TOP NOTCH. He uses Savage mags and modifies them to take 6 more rounds. But an 18" barrel sounds short for any factory Savage I have heard of. Where did you get it? Maybe it was a special build for that retailer. What is the twist of the barrel?
Good Shootin!

Got it from a LGS that got it from Elliot Bros (one of his dealers). twist is 1-10. I'll measure it again.
From what I seen they have all been list as 20".

RwP

bodywerks
04-09-2013, 10:58 PM
You need to do some studying on what a model 10 is. Yours is nothing unique. All model 10s in 308 are a 10 twist unless it's a specific type of 5r rifling. There are plenty of stocks for it, so long as it has the 4.41"action spacing, and i assure you it does. Yours it's probably a 20 inch barrel, you're just measuring it at 18. Savage advertises barrel length from the bolt face to the muzzle, not the front of action to muzzle.
As mentioned, several extended mag options (ok, a few. The one mentioned, dark eagle customs, and another guy that goes by like z71 something on the forums.).

Rick P
04-10-2013, 07:47 AM
I looked at it again last nite, it is in fact a 20", you know how when you get somthing in your head.
Sorry
RwP

bodywerks
04-10-2013, 11:47 PM
First thing you need to do is ditch the plastic stock, asap. Keep it on the cheap and get yourself a choate a-5 style stock. I have run the standard and adjustable on, what i believe is the exact same rifle that you have. Mine was a d!cks sporting goods special that they called an FCP-XP.
I really like this one and found the adjustability quite useful:
http://www.tacticalworks.com/Savage-SA-Drop-Box-Mag-CUSTOM-Tactical-Stock-by-Choate.html
The same but non adjustable:
http://www.tacticalworks.com/Choate-Tactical-Stock-Savage-Drop-Box-Mag.html.