PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: DIP vs Savage metal bits

Tood
04-08-2013, 03:57 PM
So I ordered Boyd's Tacticool stock for my new SV-FR. I'd read here and other places that the DIP trigger guard and floor plate was the way to go but at the last minute cheaped out and ordered the Savage bits with the stock. Am I going to regret this or in the big picture is it really no big thing? Thanks

Tood

squirrelsniper
04-11-2013, 03:05 PM
I guess it depends on how it shoots. The trigger guard is no big deal, the Savage stuff is fine IMO. The Savage bottom metal, on the other hand, is little more than a paper-thin piece of steel that does nothing other than prevent the screw head from bearing directly onto the stock. Many rifles shoot fine with the Savage bottom metal, but many people (myself included) prefer the DIP bottom metal. The Mark II stocks really don't have much support around the action screws and over-tightening the screws can easily crack a stock because the factory bottom metal is simply flimsy. The thicker DIP bottom metal does not flex and somewhat helps to distribute the load from the front action screw.

Tood
04-12-2013, 11:21 AM
Well I got it all installed yesterday with no issue. I only got to shoot a few rounds at 50yrds but I wasn't especially pleased with how it shot. Likely just me but I'll see what I can get dialed in this weekend. Thanks for the input.

Tood