PDA

View Full Version : Steel case ammo okay in AXIS .308?

DocNugent
04-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Ruger Mini-14 owners are cautioned against using (usually Russian) steel case ammo because of increased wear rates.

Is there a similar concern with steel case .308 Win in the AXIS?

Or does the fact it's bolt action sufficiently mitigate the risk?

Thanks for the input.

fgw_in_fla
04-08-2013, 05:00 AM
No reason why it shouldn't be. They work good in AK's & SKS's. In fact, I've watched guys at the range using it in bolt guns with good results. The price is right, too.
Too bad it's not reusable although I watched a U-Toob video on how to get one more firing out of steel cases. Pretty cool how he got the spent primers out using water & a punch.

pisgah
04-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Steel-cased ammo is fine in the Axis. For that matter, while it might provide feed problems, etc., in an individual rifle, concerns over "increased wear" are misplaced altogether, regardless of rifle or action type.

J.Baker
04-08-2013, 08:50 AM
The main reason for the warning against using Russian or S. African ammo (steel or brass cased) in the Mini-14 or any other gas operated semi-auto is because the powder used is extremely dirty and it will foul/clog up the gas system requiring much more frequent maintenance to the system.

pisgah
04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
The main reason for the warning against using Russian or S. African ammo (steel or brass cased) in the Mini-14 or any other gas operated semi-auto is because the powder used is extremely dirty and it will foul/clog up the gas system requiring much more frequent maintenance to the system.

That's a new one on me. My AR has digested nearly 3000 rounds of the cheap Russian stuff, and in spite of its notoriously sooty direct gas impingement system has shown no problems. I don't see how it could be worse with a Mini 14.

Topsail
04-10-2013, 12:43 AM
I have shot a fair amount of Brown Bear 145gr sp and fmj through my 308 Axis. They have hard primers. About 1/4 required a second hit to go off.

Dr Honda
04-10-2013, 07:09 AM
I've shot some steel case brow bear, and noticed nothing out of the norm.

With that said... I had a buddy sell me a bunch of his steel case ammo cheap because he was having feed issues in his AR. Basically, when it got hot... the lacquer would get sticky. In a bot, that shouldn't be an issue since you aren't running as many rds though it.

Topsail
04-10-2013, 02:56 PM
My Saiga eats Brown Bear like candy. My Axis has no problems with my reloads or factory USA ammo. Loves 168gr SMKs.