PDA

View Full Version : I think I hate my new 6.5 Creedmoor

Pages : 1 [2] 3

That1guy
04-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Odd that Savage would not list it as having an accustock when it has one. Disappointing if this is another potential barrel issue. So far I had a Rem 700 with a crap barrel, a TC Icon with a awful 5R barrel in 308 and now Savage is going to ship more and more of this stuff too ? If I get one it is going straight back and they will make it right if I have to picket in front of the house of the CEO....

Its an HS Precision with Aluminum bedding block, NOT an Accustock.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Pilgrim
04-09-2013, 05:16 PM
I had a Savage Long Range Hunter -- accustock and accutrigger -- but I couldn't get it to shoot better than 1.25" at 100 yards. That isn't "long range hunter" accuracy. Sent it back to Savage and they returned it with a 3-shot target that measured 1.25"! I sold it.

RRWC
04-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Same issue with my LRP in 6.5 CM. Frustrating as hell. Tried everything as well. To confirm it wasn't my scope, NF NXS 5.5-22, I put it back on my Accuracy International and shot a 5 rd group in the low .3's using Federal Gold Medal 168 gr. Its my first Savage and there seems to be a lot of rifles with the same issues. Everyone says just send it back Savage will look after it, how about checking it before it leaves the shop, that's a novel idea. Not to mention how long are you going to be out of a rifle. I didn't buy a brand new rifle with the intention of sending it back, you shouldn't have to. I can see an isolated incident, nothing man made is immune but based on the research there appears to be a pattern here. I am getting rid of it. It was a frustrating waste of time, life is too short to be pissing around with junk. Sorry if I offended any die hard Savage supporters but that is my personal experience.

okie2
04-10-2013, 07:01 PM
is savage quilty going to hell? I have 5 mod 110's that are very accurate. but I just bought a savage 10 in 308 caliper from walmart
it will not shoot better than a 3 inch group I have tryed federal and 4 or 5 hand loads it will still only get the 3 inch group.
one load I shoot in my mod 110 308 is imr 4895 39.5 grain 168 Amax does 3 shots in one hole but gets the same 3 inch group in the fxp.
I have used 3 different scopes that work fine on other rifles. The only thing left for me to do is get another barrel.
years ago I had a Remington bdl 30-06 that was the same as this 308 I ended up puting a 243 barel on it and it shot very accruate after that.

Grayfox
04-10-2013, 10:27 PM
I had the same problem with my 12 LRP in 260 Rem. After 3 months and three different barrels Savage said it was the stock. When I got it back I called HS-precision and asked them what to torque the screws. They said 65 inch lbs was minimum.

Then I got a Tubb bullet kit with different grits to lap the barrel. This is a slow process but it yielded excellent results. My first two three shot groups were both 1/2 " groups.

This rifle I use in NRA 600 yard matches.

Grayfox

Bunsen
04-18-2013, 03:57 PM
It sounds like we need to do borescope inspections of our new rifles now before we leave the FFL....

Sad, but true in some instances.

I hate for my first post to have a negative connotation, but I have been struggling with a model 12 LRP in .260Rem that I purchased in November 2012. It has never been a great shooter, hovering around 1.25MOA with some odd flyers on longer strings once past rounds six or seven. Overall I REALLY like my Savage LRP, but something has always been nagging me that something isn’t quite correct with it. Fast forward 250 rounds later (including two precision tactical matches) and while cleaning it this past weekend I noticed that at the muzzle end one of the grooves was extremely fouled by copper (looked like it had been copper plated) while the rest exhibited virtually no copper fouling. I contacted my gunsmith and he asked me to stop by so we could investigate with a borescope.

Aside from a lot of tool marks and chattering throughout the barrel the biggest issue was that the chamber had been reamed off axis relative to the bore. Although I didn’t exactly understand all the technical terms my gunsmith was using, looking through the bore scope and performing a 360 rotation at the end of the throat it was self evident that something wasn’t correct. In my barrel not all of the lands and grooves ended/started at the same point in the barrel. Some stopped short of the throat while others extended to it or slightly beyond (free bore area?). Anyway in anticipation of returning the barrel to Savage we removed the barrel from the action. Unfortunately according to the Savage customer service representative I spoke with this morning, that action completely voided my warranty. :(

Alas all has not been lost as I was able to procure a Shilen replacement barrel from Jim at NSS (super nice guy to deal with)!! During our conversation Jim inquired why I was changing barrels. After informing him of the situation, he stated that this sadly was not the first time he has heard of this issue.

As for the factory tube my gunsmith is going to chop it ~2” then rechamber for a 6.5 Creedmore to use for F-class, or mid range applications. A rebarreling and a “someday” future project about 18months ahead of schedule. :D

So the moral of the story it does appear that Savage is having some QC issues.

Bunsen
05-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Just got the rifle back from my gunsmith with the new Shilen match grade barrel installed. Turns out it likes the same load as the previous barrel (41.8gr H4350 under a 140gr BTHP).

Shots 3-5 @100yds
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/bunsenbeaker27/Shillenshots3_5_group_zps38a50eba.jpg

Shots 6-8 @ 100yds
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/bunsenbeaker27/Shillenshots6-8_group_zps03e3068b.jpg

Shots 11-13 @ 300yds
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f230/bunsenbeaker27/Shillen300yds_group_zpsfdec791e.jpg

It's a shame about the factory barrel, but at least there are other options available. Thanks to Shilen for directing me to Jim at NSS, and Jim for getting the new barrel shipped out so quickly. :becky:

Chopper
05-15-2013, 06:06 PM
First of all...I"m amazed at all the responses this thread provoked...and I'm grateful for all the advice. After about 150 rounds...
I finally started getting some decent 5 shot groups. They were very encouraging. Unfortunately...you can shoot five rounds and make
a bughole...but the next five might go 2/12 inches high and right. Obviously a scope problem I thought...but I changed out my Nikon Monarch for new, EGW rings and a high dollar Leupold Mark 4 and go the same results. Tonight I'm going to tear it all down and
check the bedding...then the torque. If it doesn't shoot then...I'm dumping it. I've got too many guns that shoot all day long to need
the extra aggravation.

guhunter
05-15-2013, 06:58 PM
Anyway in anticipation of returning the barrel to Savage we removed the barrel from the action. Unfortunately according to the Savage customer service representative I spoke with this morning, that action completely voided my warranty. :(

I removed a barrel on a 223 i was having problems with but ending up re installing it and sending it to them. Don't think they knew the difference and they replaced the barrel.

Bunsen
05-15-2013, 07:43 PM
I removed a barrel on a 223 i was having problems with but ending up re installing it and sending it to them. Don't think they knew the difference and they replaced the barrel.

The CS rep had already asked for my serial number and had my contact info. I didn't see a way out of that. At this point I'm not concerned as the original barrel will be turned into a 6.5 creedmoor and mated to another Savage action. The Shilen barrel isn't coming off until it's shot out in a few years.

Captk
05-15-2013, 09:47 PM
I just picked up my new 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. This is not encouraging. I'll see how it shoots and look it over closely to see if there are any obvious problems. I have a case of Hornady 120 gr AMAX on the way.

Ken

mnhntr
05-15-2013, 10:39 PM
I shot sub 1/4in groups with my LRP in 260. Running 142gr SMKs and H4350

homefrontsniper
05-16-2013, 02:55 AM
TVP told my wife M12 6.5 creedmoor is very good , If you get a good one, and what time it was made,The one we have will put three 123 lapuas in same hole at 200 yds yes one hole. 142 smk same thing! I must have the first one made, or the best one. Ok im ready lets here it. I can here them fingers on the keys. Or mybe not its hard to tell on here somtime. Poeple get all .. You no. You need a $4000 B R Rifle to do that B.S. yes to shoot 10 in one hole, but not three !!!

Chopper
05-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Took the offending LRP back to the range today. The first three shots were incredibly far apart. I corrected and shot three sets of
bug holes before it started changing point of impact drastically. The other thing that's happening is...even though I'm only shooting
41.5 gr of H4350 behind 142 smk's...I'm blowing primer pockets. After 150 round down the pipe I've blown out 19 cases.
I'm baffled.

Bunsen
05-17-2013, 05:29 PM
Took the offending LRP back to the range today. The first three shots were incredibly far apart. I corrected and shot three sets of
bug holes before it started changing point of impact drastically. The other thing that's happening is...even though I'm only shooting
41.5 gr of H4350 behind 142 smk's...I'm blowing primer pockets. After 150 round down the pipe I've blown out 19 cases.
I'm baffled.

Based on this thread it sounds like you may have a bad barrel. Have you contacted Savage CS yet or had anybody check it with a borescope?

Captk
05-18-2013, 08:35 AM
So I took a better look at my new Sav 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. There is a black ring on the bolt face (blown primers?) and the barrel was very dirty prior to me cleaning it.This is a new rifle, just picked up after shipping to my FFL. The only bolt faces I have seen with the ring marks were old surplus military rifles. I have a case of Hornady 120 AMAX I will try the rifle out with when I get my scope mount. The ring marks have me concerned I may have gotten a rifle that will have problems.
Ken

taylorce1
05-18-2013, 09:04 AM
So I took a better look at my new Sav 12 LRP in 6.5 creedmoor. There is a black ring on the bolt face (blown primers?) and the barrel was very dirty prior to me cleaning it.This is a new rifle, just picked up after shipping to my FFL. The only bolt faces I have seen with the ring marks were old surplus military rifles. I have a case of Hornady 120 AMAX I will try the rifle out with when I get my scope mount. The ring marks have me concerned I may have gotten a rifle that will have problems.
Ken
Why are you looking for a problem before you have even shot the rifle? Just because Savage made a lemon with the OP's rifle which will happen from time to time doesn't mean your rifle is going to have problems. Ring marks are probably due to machining of the bolt that didn't get polished out. No big deal is won't affect the way your rifle will shoot, if it had a blown or pierced primer from test firing it, you might possibly get actual cuts in the metal from the escaping gasses. I don't know of a manufacturer out there that will send you a clean rifle brand new, when you are building several hundred rifles a day they don't take time to remove all the residue from production. I'm not bashing you on inspecting and cleaning a new rifle but the proof of a rifle is always how it prints down range.

Captk
05-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Why are you looking for a problem before you have even shot the rifle? Just because Savage made a lemon with the OP's rifle which will happen from time to time doesn't mean your rifle is going to have problems. Ring marks are probably due to machining of the bolt that didn't get polished out. No big deal is won't affect the way your rifle will shot, if it had a blown or pierced primer from test firing it, you might possibly get actual cuts in the metal from the escaping gasses. I don't know of a manufacturer out there that will send you a clean rifle brand new, when you are building several hundred rifles a day they don't take time to remove all the residue from production. I'm not bashing you on inspecting and cleaning a new rifle but the proof of a rifle is always how it prints down range.

Yes I agree, I'll need to fire it before I know if there is an issue or not. The ring on the bolt looks like carbon right where the primer would sit against the bolt face, a black ring on the bolt face. The metal is not cut. I don't expect a perfectly clean rifle after test firing, I also don't expect carbon rings on the bolt face. I'll clean it up and see what happens when I actually fire it.

yobuck
05-18-2013, 09:53 AM
here in fl. you see lots of t shirts that say (shut up and fish) lol.
blown primers tend to leave signs like pitts in the boltface around the firing pin.

Captk
05-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Got out to the range this morning with my Savage 12 LRP I shot this just before the weather changed to a steady rain, 10 rounds at 100 yds using Hornady 120 gr AMAX. The rifle is fine, I have some 140 gr AMAX on order along with dies to reload my own. I have 120 gr Sierra MK and 123 GR AMAX ready to go once dies arrive.
I shot a total of 40 rounds, not bad first time out with the rifle. The rifle seems to be shrinking the group size the more I shot.

Ken

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/kenk0919/img_2096jpg_zps5945dab6.jpg (http://s6.photobucket.com/user/kenk0919/media/img_2096jpg_zps5945dab6.jpg.html)