PDA

View Full Version : New Bolt Headspace

ready_on_the_right
04-05-2013, 11:03 PM
Factory installed barrel, new bolt.

Ordered my go and no go gauges awaiting there arrival.

What is the likelihood it will headspace correctly right off the bat without unscrewing the barrel?

Mike

stangfish
04-05-2013, 11:14 PM
Not very likely. I guess there is a chance but I have seen that the tolerence from the back of the head to the face of the head can vary quite a bit.

ready_on_the_right
04-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Thanks,

I guess I'm being vain in hoping to keep the barrel indexed so all of the writing lines up :-)

Mike

ready_on_the_right
04-10-2013, 11:20 PM
update:

My barrel nut wrench and GO NO-GO gauges came in today, got home and went and tried the GO gauge no dice, bolted on my action wrench, gently slid the barrel nut wrench down the barrel and set it about 35 degrees up from the action wrench, layed it all on the carpet and pushed down slow and steady with my foot, barrel nut broke right loose.

Screwed it off a few turns and put GO gauge in and screwed barrel back tight, tried the bolt several times good to go, tried the NO GO gauge just to be sure all good. It was.

Tightened barrel nut good and tight, disassembled wrench and tried gauges again. Still good.

Put rifle back together and carried it and once fired brass and loaded ammo I had previously loaded for a Rem 700 KS Mtn Rifle in .338 I used to own outside.

Brass and loaded rounds fed smoothly! Yeah!

So I have 29 rounds of 200 gr Nosler Ballistic tips loaded and ready to shoot as soon as my ejector arrives.

Mike

stangfish
04-10-2013, 11:41 PM
You da man!

ready_on_the_right
04-10-2013, 11:58 PM
Stangfish the best part is it was close enough my writing still lines up on the barrel in relation to the stock close enough you really cant tell it moved much.

Mike

ready_on_the_right
04-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Another update.

E-mail from Midway that my ejector won't be in until at least 6-20-13!

Called Savage and 1. ask why in the heck they ever ship bolt assemblies without ejectors, phone chick has no logical answer. 2. ordered an ejector, it was in stock and probably will have it by Friday!

I really don't understand why Savage would subject themselves to possible liability shipping bolts without ejectors.

Mike

ready_on_the_right
04-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Called Midway and cancelled order