PDA

View Full Version : Sanity check - short action 6.5-06

cheezie
04-04-2013, 09:35 PM
I have just put together an experimental build consisting of a 26-inch varmint contour 6.5-06 barrel on an accu-trigger short varmint action mounted in a Choate varmint stock. The action is equipped with a single-shot feed slide in place of the center-feed magazine. Since this cartridge is generally not regarded as compatible with a short action, before bolting on a scope and heading off to the range, I want to ask wiser heads if I am missing something important. I have loaded the rifle by hand with 140 gr SST's at a COL of 3.24 - no problem, they drop right in and the bolt closes just fine. I have ejected empty cases - no problem, they flip out normally. Removing an unfired round from the chamber requires partially removing the bolt to achieve clearance for the bullet tip, but this is set up as a single-shot, so - no problem. Am I missing something important? Thanks for any advice.

geargrinder
04-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Should be fine. I know of a 338 Edge that was built on a short action.

junkout
04-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Should be good. Question how much more room do you need to clear a live round on ejection ? You can alter the bolt stop to let the bolt open a little more.

geargrinder
04-12-2013, 11:29 PM
Should be good. Question how much more room do you need to clear a live round on ejection ? You can alter the bolt stop to let the bolt open a little more.

How do you mean?

Modify the sear?

The only way I know to lengthen the bolt throw on a savage is to use a notched front baffle like the CRF actions had.

junkout
04-13-2013, 08:58 AM
Modifing the bolt stop which is part of the sear. Reconfigure it to stop the bolt further back than factory.
You will have to cut and offset the metal then weld it back or notch it if you don't need much room.

BillPa
04-13-2013, 06:59 PM
I'd just mill the forward end of port open a little further.
http://i42.tinypic.com/sy9i0z.jpg

That an old factory job, but any 'smith or machine shop could do it and would a heck of a easier than trying to modify a sear.

Bill

cheezie
04-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Thanks, folks. Since it's a single-shot, I'm just going to live with the need to partially remove the bolt if/when I need to remove a live round.

65impala
04-14-2013, 08:51 PM
I'd just live with it if it were me, it's no big deal and lots of target shooters do the same