PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my first build

DeadIdick
04-04-2013, 09:26 PM
Hi guys I am a new member to this site and was looking to get a little help from those with more knowledge than me. I just picked up a 110La chambered in 30.06 and am looking to make it into a precision long range target/hunting rifle chambered in .300 win mag. From what I have read on this site it sounds like i need to change the bolt head to a magnum, and possibly modify the internal magazine? My plan is to purchase a shilen match grade barrel will the 110 action hold up to the recoil of the .300 win mag? I am also wondering if the factory acu triggers were good enough or should i go for the rifle basix or timney. Also do the shilen barrels come with recoil lugs and if not how do i know what thickness to purchase? sorry for all the questions at once but im just excited to start my first rifle build, and need the correct info from the pro's. hope i am in the right thread as well.

JCalhoun
04-04-2013, 10:10 PM
DeadI,

Welcome to the site.

I take it the action is a pre-Accutrigger? If so, the factory AT won't work. You'll need an aftermarket trigger such as Rifle Basix or Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS). SSS can also supply you with the correct bolt head assembly, their recoil lug, magazine parts and the correct scope base. They also have rather nice custom bolt handles.

They also have the best barrel nut wrenches.

DeadIdick
04-05-2013, 02:48 PM
jcalhoun
yes the rifle is a pre acu trigger serial number is 955xxx. I looked at sss and I am wondering if the .300 win mag will fit in the 110 internal mags or do I have to buy a new magazine housing or just the follower. I also found the factory savage replacement bolt heads on midway website, how do I make sure I have a small firing pin. your info is much appreciated.

JCalhoun
04-05-2013, 10:50 PM
When I changed my pre-AT 110 from a 7 Mag to a .30-06 I had to change the magazine box and follower. It's an easy swap if you have a plastic mallet. I'm not sure on the firing pin deal. When I need to change bolt heads I talk to Fred at SSS and have him build one for me using the serial number as a guide.

stangfish
04-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Try to trade your bolt assembly with someone on here.

The recoil lug is purchased seperately and for the money it is a safe bet. The thickness is usually .250, just ask for a heavy recoil lug from the guy you are ordering your barrel from.

The action is sold with 300 win mags so it is good to go with that round.

I modify the workings of the savage trigger but it may be easier and safer to buy an aftermarket. The SSS is legendary... never owned one and the rifle basix is praised by many on here....never owned one. I did get a timney and it is ok.

I have modified the 30-06 mag box to work with the 300WM with no issues. I studied it and took measurements and stuff.

DeadIdick
04-11-2013, 06:44 PM
sorry I haven't had time to respond to answers lately, I really appreciate all the useful information I am getting. where on this sight do I go to trade a bolt, do I have to be a paid member before I can trade. how did you modify the magazine stangfish just wondering if you just ground on it or bent or ect. and has anyone have a better paint other than duracoat or is that the best.

thomae
04-12-2013, 08:42 AM
sorry I haven't had time to respond to answers lately, I really appreciate all the useful information I am getting. where on this sight do I go to trade a bolt, do I have to be a paid member before I can trade. Click the tab that says "Membership Info" at the top of the page.