PDA

View Full Version : Target/Varmint rifle Accuracy with DBM vs HFPlate

300magman
01-22-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm looking at buying a LRPV with the detachable mag in 22-250 to use as a long range varmint rig and then getting a second barrel in .308 win to use for 600 and 1000 yard competition.

But I'm wondering if I am giving up any noticable accuracy by using a model with a detachable mag AND wondering if long 200+gr handloads will fit into the factory mag.

If the detachable mag isn't the greatest option for what I am trying to achieve then would it be possible to convert the rifle over to a hinged floor plate system that could accomplish my goals better?

lwink
01-22-2010, 11:48 PM
No proven accuracy advantages with any savage action, from the target single shots on down the line to blind mags, hfp, and dbm. As far as your loads fitting the dbm, I do believe that if they fit any of the new savage magazines they will fit all (eg... if it fits in blind will fit in dbm). Not 100% on this, but I do know they use the same boxes for blind and hfp mag options now, I would assume the same size box would be in the dbm, but I'd either call savage or have someone on here measure. Good luck to you!

geargrinder
01-23-2010, 12:20 AM
They use the same box for all three. Blind, hinged, and detached.