PDA

View Full Version : AR Magazine Conversion Round #234

Pages : 1 [2]

RevM
04-09-2013, 04:51 PM
There are also Mini-14's in 6.8 SPC ... has me thinking that a such a mag could be made to slip through the Axis style DBM base-plate in a similar manner to the "Ratmags" on the sniper's hide site mentioned above. I wonder what he was having such difficulties with the 223 version he was working on and why he didn't go the Mini-14 mag route as his building block.

Elsifer
04-09-2013, 05:14 PM
6.8SPC is still a .223 derivative, so for me, a .243 user, that magazine is not viable.

We're hooked in the catch22 of making a magazine work in the stock, if you replace the mag, you replace the stock.

I'm looking to pull the Axis action out of the stock stock, and build a replacement stock, with some sort of DBM.
I'm confident about the first and second, the third goal is what I'm trying to narrow down.

RevM
04-09-2013, 05:45 PM
Close ... the 6.8 is not a 223 derivative, but is designed to fit in an AR-15/M16/M4 magwell. The 243 is a 308 derivative so you would need to look at mags made for the AR-10, G3, or FAL to see if one would be suitable.

Dr Honda
04-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Well.....

For me... it's for a 223 rifle... that's why I was looking at a mini-14 mag.

For the larger rifles... a mini-30 mag may work. But, I don't know, since I've never seen one up close. Honestly... the best thing to do, is to make a new "Extended floor" like in the link above. Unless someone else has an idea of an easy to get high cap mag.

The AR style would have been great since they are easy to get. BUT... as in the pics on the other page... the rounds just aren't exposed enough.

On those lines... how many Axis mags are there?? 3 ~ 4? (223, 308 type, AND 30-06 type is what I'm thinking)

****EDIT****

Disregard the Mini-30 comment above. I thought they were in 7.62 NATO. I now discovered it's 7.62x39.

Dr Honda
04-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Just an FYI guys...

I'm going to put this project on the back burner since all high cap Mags are hard to get right now. AND... I'm going to focus on the aluminum chassis project that Cheapshot has been talking about.

brasse
04-13-2013, 06:46 PM
I was reading an article about the Mossberg, they put an extra small ridge on the bolt head to pick up the rounds.
For photos Google Mossberg MVP bolthead

Also the Gremlin was beautiful compared to the Pontiac SUV a couple of years ago.

heavydeeberz
05-16-2013, 12:10 AM
dont know how the bolt meets the barrel though... dont have an axis yet, dont have a bolt action to look at and think about. I want to get one and re barrel 35 whelen with bull barrel. Anyway...
http://www.accuracyinternational.com/accessories_list.php
strait stack mag...expensive but will protrude. 308, 338.

Dr Honda
05-20-2013, 06:57 AM
can you weld or braze a tab on the bottom of the bolt face to catch the round??? .

You could... but then you would have to cut open the receiver to make room for the tab. So... that's not work, most people can do. The point of a project like this (posting on a board) is making it so others can copy.