View Full Version : .308 win - Accuracy Powder

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

stomp442
04-03-2013, 12:10 PM
I have the same results with varget frank so don't feel bad. Everyone of my rifles hates the stuff. I have done some load development for some friends rifles though and theirs loves it. Its kind of strange.

Willoughby
04-03-2013, 12:24 PM
my fouler group was .5moa with varget -before load devlopment
why ?
because is just happened to be the correct amount of powder
to have the bullet exit the barrel
while the vibrations were at the the chamber end of the barrel
ANY powder will produce good accuracy
if
if
if
you find the right amount for your barrel & bullet
some powders will be consistant regardless of ambient temperature
Varget is one of the latter
mag primers are actulay called for in some 243 & 308 load data
over pressure is readily seen in the primary overpressure indicator -the primer
after each upward increment in load development the primer should be inspected for pressure signs

Topsail
04-03-2013, 03:19 PM
Looks like it's coming down to 2 of my favorites... 4064 & RL15. Good thing that's the powders I used to make all those rounds.

By the way, there's 2 reasons I didn't put Varget on the list:
1) I don't have any.
2) I HATE VARGET.

It always works for everyone but me. Even my young friend Matt had reasonably good success with it, but when I tried it NOOOOoooooo! No such luck.
Are you guys taking the can of Varget & putting it in the backyard under a full moon & dancing naked around it or something?

The moon was not full.

fgw_in_fla
04-03-2013, 03:41 PM
The moon was not full.

It was to.... But there was a heavy overcast that night.

Actually, to be fair I have to point out - When it comes to powders I hate, its a toss up between Varget & H380.

Never had good results with either. Maybe next time I'll get the ol lady to dance naked under a full moon whilst shaking a can of varget & chanting some words of encouragement. As long as she doesn't blind any of the neighbors it might work.

thermaler
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I like 4064 in my 308 loads as well--but it's a "recoil pounder" compared to RL 15.

fgw_in_fla
04-04-2013, 05:25 AM
I like 4064 in my 308 loads as well--but it's a "recoil pounder" compared to RL 15.

You're absotively, posolutely right & after a day of shooting, a person, needs their chiropractor on retainer. HOWEVER......

I recently picked up a very nice barrel with a brake on it & the recoil is now minimal. Without it, especially after a recent shoulder surgery, I probably couldn't use the faster powders. For my '06 the powder to use is 4350.

thermaler
04-04-2013, 06:28 AM
You're absotively, posolutely right & after a day of shooting, a person, needs their chiropractor on retainer. HOWEVER......

I recently picked up a very nice barrel with a brake on it & the recoil is now minimal. Without it, especially after a recent shoulder surgery, I probably couldn't use the faster powders. For my '06 the powder to use is 4350.This brings up a very interesting discussion about brakes. Many in the AR10 crowd use them--but my SASS is a heavy gun and my feeling is the heavier the buttstock is--the more it helps dissipate the recoil. I have so far resisted the temptation of putting brakes on any of my guns, because of the "gas emissions upset that affect harmonics" that I've heard about. Some say BS--while others point out you rarely see them on match guns. Axis stocks--such as they are--are going to do the opposite--transmit most of the recoil to the shooter since they are so flimsy/lightweight. When I did my stock mods to my axises, I filled the butt with bars and epoxy as well, so I think that helps a bit. I've developed my shooting technique so that I keep the buttpad in just the right spot so that I can shoot 50 rounds of "thumpers" in a session with minimal pain--as long as I keep the rifle in the right spot and don't try to restrain muzzle lift. The pain factor for me is insidious in that it likely leads to shot break anticipation/flinching. I don't have an 06 (not a glutton for punishment)--but do have a 270 which in the faster loads I'm guessing is pretty close in terms of recoil forces.

Oddly enough--my shoulder started hurting just writing this post. : )

fgw_in_fla
04-04-2013, 10:32 AM
This brings up a very interesting discussion about brakes. Many in the AR10 crowd use them--but my SASS is a heavy gun and my feeling is the heavier the buttstock is--the more it helps dissipate the recoil. I have so far resisted the temptation of putting brakes on any of my guns, because of the "gas emissions upset that affect harmonics" that I've heard about. Some say BS--while others point out you rarely see them on match guns. Axis stocks--such as they are--are going to do the opposite--transmit most of the recoil to the shooter since they are so flimsy/lightweight. When I did my stock mods to my axises, I filled the butt with bars and epoxy as well, so I think that helps a bit. I've developed my shooting technique so that I keep the buttpad in just the right spot so that I can shoot 50 rounds of "thumpers" in a session with minimal pain--as long as I keep the rifle in the right spot and don't try to restrain muzzle lift. The pain factor for me is insidious in that it likely leads to shot break anticipation/flinching. I don't have an 06 (not a glutton for punishment)--but do have a 270 which in the faster loads I'm guessing is pretty close in terms of recoil forces.

Oddly enough--my shoulder started hurting just writing this post. : )

After installing the brake I did have to adjust the powder about a snootch & a half to get it back to where it shoots better than I do. My 25.06 without a brake is the hardest hitter I have. Just short of pre-trigger pull flinch. I notice the 100gr Sierras with RL19 hit pretty hard.
I've grown quite fond of being able to watch the shot thru the scope because of the brake.
It really sucks begonia buds to get old(er)...

thermaler
04-04-2013, 11:06 AM
After installing the brake I did have to adjust the powder about a snootch & a half to get it back to where it shoots better than I do. My 25.06 without a brake is the hardest hitter I have. Just short of pre-trigger pull flinch. I notice the 100gr Sierras with RL19 hit pretty hard.
I've grown quite fond of being able to watch the shot thru the scope because of the brake.
It really sucks begonia buds to get old(er)...
Yup--shot follow up is what seems to be the biggest advantage of a brake.

243LPR
04-04-2013, 08:48 PM
I've been getting good results with CFE223 and 150 gr Ballistic tips. Sub MOA @ 200yds.

rjtfroggy
04-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Frank with my 20" factory LE model 41.8 gr. IMR 4895 ragged hole for 5 shots @ 100, that is with 150 gr. psp's.Easy on shoulder.
With the model 12 26" cbi right now I am at 43gr. of IMR 4895 shooting right at .3 @100 but stopped due to blizzard(remember those) and will shortly be working the load @200 so it probably will need adjusting. Load at your discretion safely.
I use 4895 for everything from 223-7 rem mag even found a "historical load for the 22 hornet but have not tried it yet.

thermaler
04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
My axis 308 seems to prefer 165 gr on up bullets, my best results with 180's so far. This often gets me near or into compressed load territory depending on the powder (big recoil).

fgw_in_fla
04-05-2013, 01:58 PM
My axis 308 seems to prefer 165 gr on up bullets, my best results with 180's so far. This often gets me near or into compressed load territory depending on the powder (big recoil).

On those 180's, what powder you using? Anything slower?

I have a bunch of Nosler BT's in 180. I thought about trying them in the .308. They seem like they'd do better in the '06. In fact, they do real well in the '06 with 4350 BUT, it's compressed and I was never one for liking compressed loads. I just don't get a real good consistency with compressed loads.

Willoughby
04-05-2013, 03:50 PM
try seating your bullets near the lands & work up from min powder charge looking for pressure signs ie. flat primers
Savage 06 mag box's are long
no problem reaching the lands -or having to compress loads in my 111 06 with H4350 & 208 Amax,s

thermaler
04-05-2013, 09:04 PM
On those 180's, what powder you using? Anything slower?

I have a bunch of Nosler BT's in 180. I thought about trying them in the .308. They seem like they'd do better in the '06. In fact, they do real well in the '06 with 4350 BUT, it's compressed and I was never one for liking compressed loads. I just don't get a real good consistency with compressed loads.180 accubond spitzer with 41.2 gr of 4064 (not a compressed load) yielded me excellent results with no signs of overpressure. I also got pretty good results with 39.6 gr 4064 driving berger 168 VLD. My apologies--haven't chrono'd the loads. Today I just found out the range I shoot at is being closed for a month for "remodeling." : ( I was fine tuning some 180 swift scirocco 2's driven by RL15 (less of a "pounder" than 4064--but more full cases pushing into compression zone). The initial loads were looking very promising in the 41.5 to 43 gr range.

fgw_in_fla
04-06-2013, 01:36 PM
I'll probably save the 180's for the '06. For now I'm staying with 168's for the .308. Especially since I have a good sized stash of them. The .308 is a caliber I'm least familiar with however the 30.06 is like my 3rd arm. If you had to take my 'ol lady or my '06, you'd be leaving here looking for some duct tape for her mouth....

But you didn't hear that from me....

thermaler
04-06-2013, 06:55 PM
I'll probably save the 180's for the '06. For now I'm staying with 168's for the .308. Especially since I have a good sized stash of them. The .308 is a caliber I'm least familiar with however the 30.06 is like my 3rd arm. If you had to take my 'ol lady or my '06, you'd be leaving here looking for some duct tape for her mouth....

But you didn't hear that from me....
you are too funny : )

marshall623
04-06-2013, 08:41 PM
42.5 gr. IMR 4064 & 165gr. Sierra Game Kings under a inch at a 100 and deadly on whitetails

thermaler
04-06-2013, 08:49 PM
42.5 gr. IMR 4064 & 165gr. Sierra Game Kings under a inch at a 100 and deadly on whitetailsI too develop loads that can be used for hunting as well. The 180 accubond I got .3 MOA @100 in initial development--I'll see if I can replicate that reliably. I can't find any sierra bullets in 308--but I do have GameKings and MatchKings for my 6.5 284.

Topsail
04-06-2013, 09:35 PM
42.5 gr. IMR 4064 & 165gr. Sierra Game Kings under a inch at a 100 and deadly on whitetails

Works well on elk also.