PDA

View Full Version : Lilja barrel any good

ksgunguy
04-01-2013, 09:23 AM
Anyone use there barrels? how do they compare to other barrel makers. Is there better ones I should look into?

thanks in advance

scope eye
04-01-2013, 10:09 AM
Your kidding Right, they have to be one of the top barrel makers in the country.

Dean

sinman
04-01-2013, 01:09 PM
They are a great barrel, where you will see them shine is in the gunsmith doing the work. take a great barrel and give it to a hack and it will be junk. Take a cheap barrel and give it to a great gunsmith and you can usually get good results.

ksgunguy
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
any recommendations for a quality gunsmith around Kansas or stated bordering it?

Bradley Walker
04-01-2013, 01:22 PM
They are a great barrel, where you will see them shine is in the gunsmith doing the work. take a great barrel and give it to a hack and it will be junk. Take a cheap barrel and give it to a great gunsmith and you can usually get good results.

Why is that? Seriously. How hard is it cutting a chamber and a crown on a Savage barrel?

sinman
04-01-2013, 01:27 PM
You would be surprised how many barrels I have had to fix because of hack work, some straight from the barrel manufacture. It is all on setup and proper cutting. If you are paying someone to produce barrels as fast as possible instead of paying them to do quality work you will get bad barrels. I have seen bad threads, wrong threads, chamber cut of axis, gulling in a chamber, crown cut off center, too deep of chamber, not deep enough chamber, and I am sure I am missing a few other things.

bootsmcguire
04-01-2013, 04:45 PM
Sinman has hit the nail on the head. As a machinist myself I can agree completely. Any idiot can ruin a quality blank, but it takes talent to take a crappy one and make it do great. Machining can be as much of an art as a skill.

Uncle Jack
04-01-2013, 05:09 PM
Do I smell troll? New guy, two posts and asks if Lilja are good barrels. I don't know....is Rolex a good watch?

uj

ShowMeShooter
04-01-2013, 06:30 PM
Do I smell troll? New guy, two posts and asks if Lilja are good barrels. I don't know....is Rolex a good watch?

uj

maybe, might just be a new guy that hasn't had much experience with aftermarket barrels

langenc
04-01-2013, 06:44 PM
There are hundreds of shooters that have never heard of Lilja..

To the original poster-Lilja makes excellent barrels. Shilens are also very good.

rattfink
04-01-2013, 06:52 PM

uj

I had never heard of them before today either.

Is Koenigsegg a decent car? I bet a bunch of ya'll had to google that.

scope eye
04-01-2013, 06:57 PM
I see your point but, That's is not a fair comparison, due to the fact that this is not a hi performance car forum, it's a brand specific gun forum.

Dean

rattfink
04-01-2013, 07:40 PM
I see your point but, That's is not a fair comparison, due to the fact that this is not a hi performance car forum, it's a brand specific gun forum.

Dean

True story, but its not a watch forum either :)
And being a gun forum, this is the place that I, like many others, come to ask questions. I do suppose "Is brand X any good," is a pretty blunt way to put it out there but I still give OP benefit of the doubt for legit solicitation for information.

tomme boy
04-02-2013, 03:16 AM
Sin needs to look at his own barrels before commenting on others work!

ksgunguy
04-02-2013, 10:13 AM
thank you for all the post to my original question. I am very new to this sport of rifling and just received my first rifle a savage 10 .308. I'm trying to learn all I can about this sport/hobbie and a lot of this info is Chinese to me. I know of Koenigsegg, AP and Hermes but just trying now to learn about quality parts related to rifles.

thanks again for all your help so far. I emailed Daniel at Lilja. But now I need to find a gunsmith that is around KS and it's surrounding states to install when the time comes. I plan on changing the stock to a McMilian HTG with the adjustable cheek piece some day once I become a proficient shooter

Bradley Walker
04-03-2013, 09:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn00CA

Watch that...