PDA

View Full Version : Accutrigger

eddiesindian
03-31-2013, 10:04 PM
Buddy of mine recently started having trigger concerns with his fcp-5r 308.

Concern: After rd is chambered and bolt is closed,the triggers "accurelease" binds and cannot be pushed.
The reloads he,s been using have been used before with no issues.
When this occures, he can lift the bolt to recycle and the triggers accurelease functions normally.
It doesnt happen often.
I advised him to double ck all the basics, AOL/seating depth/mic resized case,s etc.. to start

Im looking for any Savage owners who have expierenced this or similar concerns with the "accurelease"
??

stangfish
03-31-2013, 10:24 PM
This has nothing to do with the reloads. It has to do with the trigger be adjusted too light. When the bolt closes the sear is not catching on the trigger it is going straight to the built in safety of the accurelease. Tell him to tighten the trigger and all will be well.

eddiesindian
03-31-2013, 10:37 PM
it doesnt do it all the time...the adjustment screw that either increases or decreases tension on the spring has never been touch,d.

bootsmcguire
03-31-2013, 10:50 PM
it doesnt do it all the time...the adjustment screw that either increases or decreases tension on the spring has never been touch,d.

Understood. You may have to turn it up just a touch to keep it from hitting the accu-blade. If it is a rare occurance, it is probably happening when the bolt is cycled hard. If it is a target only gun, just watch how hard you cycle the bolt. If its a field gun then I would most definatly turn up the adjustment a bit.

bodywerks
04-01-2013, 10:29 AM
Yet there are still those that say there's nothing wrong with the accutrigger design...
Your buddys rifle is factory stock and never adjusted by him yet this still happens. Not that I'm surprised, just want to throw it out there again that I'm not alone here.
As someone has pointed out, the trigger isn't catching the sear as the bolt is cycled. Increasing the spring pressure (increasing trigger pull weight) is the simple fix. Not an acceptable one for target shooters that already think the trigger pull weight is too high. If you want to maintain the pull weight or make it any lighter, you need to consider a better trigger (I strongly suggest the SSS comp trigger) or taking the trigger to a gunsmith to have the sear groove custom ground and the rest of the trigger gone over to verify everything is moving feely.
Beyond that, there are other things you can do to make it a little more reliable, like removing the grease from the sear and sear groove and cleaning the rest if the trigger with lighter fluid, paying particular attention to the trigger hinge pin. Once reassembled, use one drop of a good oil (triflow, marvel) on the hinge pin and that's it.

eddiesindian
04-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys.
Ive been a Ford Factory trained tech for the past 35yrs and have a good understanding of tolerance,s and mechanical movement.
I wouldnt mind diving into his trigger concern so i could have a look but imo,.......tis better to ask questions from sources who have already had concerns.
I know for a fact that he does have a "manly" way of working the bolt....and.......he loves to clean his firearms so he may infact have left unnessassary amounts of lube on the trig.....this and the hinge pin makes more sense to me.
Thanks for the info guys!...Ill pass this on to him and let him tinker away

eddiesindian
04-08-2013, 10:51 AM
(update).....
We found the problem with my shooting partners FCP SR Accutriger yesterday. I had an idea as to what it was but I needed to see it for myself. Sure enuff. When he,s closing the bolt, he,s sending it home and slamming shut with totally unesseassry force engaging the accurealese system. He went on to say that he plans on shooting competiton and that he,s training regement requires him to do that. I know my shooting partner well enuff to know that he,s never gonna go to any competition thats gonna require him to work the bolt that hard. he,s been talking about going hunting for the past 6 yrs as well and hasnt done so either lolol.
He knows it, and I know...that almost 100% of our trigger time is infact bench target shooting. from 100 out to 1K...as of late....going out to about 1400.
If he manage,s the bolt "normally"...no problems...non what so ever....

Thanks for all of the advise fellow Savagers!

Joe L
04-09-2013, 11:52 AM
Just make sure he understands that, if the accurelease for some reason does not catch the sear, the gun is going to disharge as he slams the bolt home.

I hope you can convince him to increase his trigger pull to 2.5 lbs or so and minimize the possibility of an accidental discharge, especially if he insists on overpowering the trigger system.

Friends don't let friends slam bolts home on light triggers, regardless of the make or model.

Joe

eddiesindian
04-11-2013, 12:51 AM
he,s well aware of that. imo...savage did a good job on the safety features of accidental sear release with light triggers. he knows it, and i know it. he can be hard headed to a certan point but it doesnt take long for common sense to settle in. we adjusted the trig and alls well

Joe L
04-11-2013, 12:35 PM
Great! Shoot it a bunch! Thanks for the followup.

Joe (a little hard headed myself)

Willoughby
04-11-2013, 06:12 PM
just for the record
I have 4 accutriggers all adjusted around 1 lb (not with factory springs or finish)
one of the 4 is well under a pound 8-10 oz range
I can slam the bolt on any of them & the sear holds fine
I slap, bump, & slam the bolt home hard to test the saftey of my mods after every adjustment
sounds to me like your sear -trigger engagment angles may be wrong
I'm pretty sure a factory pull weight 3-5 lb's
is not the problem
if I cant slam the bolt hard enough to make the sear fall on a 8-10 oz pull weght
just my 2 cents

jonbearman
04-11-2013, 06:15 PM
Truthfully does the accutrigger not like slamming the bolt.I turned mine up to 2.8#'s and it still trips the sear if you move the bolt really hard.What do you think?

jhelmuth
04-11-2013, 06:41 PM
What is acomplished by slaming the bolt forward and down?

ellobo
04-11-2013, 07:05 PM
The variations you are hearing here may be attributed to Savage's sloppy tolerances and sometimes shaky QC. If you have read as many threads as I have over the yrs you will hear the results of the above over and over again.

El Lobo

eddiesindian
04-11-2013, 08:49 PM
What is acomplished by slaming the bolt forward and down?

lololol...thats what I asked him.
he,s one of my best friends but man-oh-man...he,s hard headed (to a point)
he,s accomplising nothing by smacking the bolts as he does. In his defense, he says he,s gonna go out for some competition and says he,s knows his gonna be slamming the bolts like that during the course of fire...maybe so....but in all honesty...he aint going to any comp any time soon...like I said,,,he,s a bit hard headed but he,ll give in to common sense sooner than later.

eddiesindian
04-11-2013, 08:53 PM
The variations you are hearing here may be attributed to Savage's sloppy tolerances and sometimes shaky QC. If you have read as many threads as I have over the yrs you will hear the results of the above over and over again.

El Lobo

maybe so...but have you ever heard of a savage going off "accidently" with the accu trig system and causing body injury such that of (_________)...cant mention names...........?

jonbearman
04-11-2013, 09:50 PM
I just wanted to be sure that this is a foolish practice.Its not really my gun I was asking about,just had to test the waters.

Willoughby
04-12-2013, 10:17 AM
slaming the bolt HARD at a bench is useless but ...........
slaming the bolt HARD is what happens sometimes in real life situations ie buck fever, dropping the rifle,bumping the rifle, ect.
slaming the bolt HARD after any repair -will show you if your sear to trigger angles are correct (SAFE) or not
if a tiny peice of debri gets between the two peices that could cause it as well
I've seen "stuff" stuck on the lube -they put on the sear
If someone has polished or honed these two surfaces and got the angles wrong that will also cause this condition
any one who has a accu trigger -or any other trigger -that does this should have it looked at -this is a very dangerous situation
if you have to close your bolt easy to keep the sear from falling -
YOU HAVE A RIFLE THAT IS ONLY GOOD FOR BENCH SHOOTING-
ONE SHOT AT A TIME
MUZZLE POINTED DOWNRANGE
even then I wouldnt want it