PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 in 270, review

rickt300
01-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Well things went well. Shoots just fine and is pretty light. The trigger is a bit creepy but light enough to not cause any problems. I shoot 60 or so rounds loaded with 51.0 grs of H414 topped with Nosler Solid based bullets, some with 48.0 grs of the same powder with 130 grain Barnes X bullets (old style) and also some 150 grain Hornady bullets. I topped it with a Leupold 4X and used it as a loaner for two friends and they each killed a deer and a hog. I shot a huge skunk with it and the Barnes X bullets (got complete penetration). Two things, it copper fouls a bit, not too bad but it takes a bit longer to clean than some of my other barrels, second it is a bit harder to load in the dark than my usual Mauser rifles. If I wear this one out after I rebarrel it to 224 TTH I might just buy another one.

358Hammer
01-22-2010, 12:48 AM
Thank you for sharing the information.

How accurate is this gun? Are you planning on doing a switch barrel to 224 TTH for varmint in the spring and back to the larger caliber for hunting in the fall?

Neal

rickt300
01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
With the loads tested using the 130 gr. Nosler solid base bullet it is bette than MOA for three shots. I only fired a few shots with the Barnes X bullets but there is a lot of promise with them. My plan is probably to rebarrel and shoot till worn out. I have two other 270's built on a Model 70 and a Mauser which I prefer not to loan out. I want the small bore hotshot to play with and the Savage's easy to rebarrel feature appeals to me. Between myself, Steve and Mike we could really get some game taken with this rifle to see just how good the TTH really is.