PDA

View Full Version : B-Mag Series: New Savage B-Mag

n4ue
03-31-2013, 02:43 PM
Anyone else itchin' to buy a new B-Mag in .17 Winchester Super Mag?
I've already got the $ stashed and plenty of spare scopes. All I need now is the rifle and ammo!! ha ha
Should fill the gap between the .17 HMR and .17 Hornet......

ron

outback andy
03-31-2013, 07:02 PM
Not me, at the price $19.00 + a box it won't be cheaper then that , I will be shooting my .222 or .223 at that price.

CRAMER
03-31-2013, 07:33 PM
Where I am at we have some gov land that is rimfire only, so that makes me wonder.

n4ue
04-01-2013, 01:48 PM
Outback, let's do a little cypherin' here....

I have seen the stated price of the new Win SM to be $16 / box of 50. However we'll go with your price of $19 / 50.
That is $.38 / round.

Now let's look at the .223 (I have 5 rifles in this caliber). I'll use 'rounded' prices from Midway, since I order from them the most.

- powder
I'll use 25 gr of H335. Powder cost is around $22. Since there are 7000 gr in a lb, you can get 280 loads from a lb.
Cost / round = $.08

- primer
I'll use a BR-2, (CCI-400 are close to the same), $29 / thousand
Cost / round = $.03

- Bullet
I'll use a cheaper one (although not a FMJ), that I really like. The Sierra #1400 at $21 / hundred.
Cost / round = $.21

Total cost / round = $.33 / round.

Since I currently reload 29 calibers and have been reloading for 40 years, I totally understand you can cut the costs by using FMJs, etc.
However, the above calculations ASSUME you already have the brass. It also has a finite life. These calculations do NOT even consider the fact that these items are currently "unobtanium" and people have been paying double/triple the above stated prices. Also, don't forget shipping / Hazmat fees. Several people here in Florida, are 'asking' $20 for 50 rounds of .22 LR!!!! Yes, this will get better, someday....
Add in the cost of pickin' up your brass, time and the investment in your loading equipment etc, the .17 SM looks pretty sweet.
Don't get me wrong, when I want to use my slide fire stock, on an AR, I'll use FMJ, Wolf, el-cheapo stuff. When shooting at a target or Coyote, I'll use the 'good stuff'. I enjoy reloading as much or more than the actual shooting......

YMMV
regards,
ron

outback andy
04-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I reload to, thanks for the price brake down...