PDA

View Full Version : Next: How bada$$ are Dillions??

Pages : [1] 2

ICUDIEN
01-21-2010, 11:34 PM
I was looking at the site and they are only like $420, so is that all I'd need(other than dies)? And are they easy to figure out/ set up?

Dennis
01-21-2010, 11:53 PM
Just set my system up since Christmas. It takes a little studing, but for the most part it's easy.

I chose to go with the RCBS system as Cabelas has a great kit and I mainly reload rifle rounds.

If I were reloading pistol rounds, I would have went with a Dillion. There great machines, but "personally" I feel you need a little more hands on with loading rifle bullets.

Just my opinion, Good Luck

dcloco
01-22-2010, 12:05 AM
For pistol OR rifle they work great.

Load 9mm, 40 S&W, 357, 44, 45, 223, 243, & 308 on mine.

If loading pistol, buy the Dillon NEW style dies...they rock.

...and the "blue koolaid" is addictive. :)

Of note, once you are set up and have a few thousand rounds under your reloading belt, it is very easy to crank out 1000 QUALITY rounds per hour on a 550B. But, you have to have help. With 5 primer tubes full, I load the CLEAN brass in the turret and pull the handle, while my "help" places the bullet in the powdered and primered round. Rotate the turret and go again. Your bullet loader checks the powder amount and away you go again.

psharon97
01-22-2010, 12:08 AM
If Im loading for my rifles where I want to precisely know the powder amount in each of the rounds, I prefer a single stage press. If I'm loading in bulk and precision fire isn't the objective, then I have a Lee 5 stage press.

ICUDIEN
01-22-2010, 12:34 AM
I would never do any rifle loading on this machine it would strictly be for pistol. I do ALL of my rifle on a Single stage.

dcloco
01-22-2010, 01:00 AM
I would never do any rifle loading on this machine it would strictly be for pistol. I do ALL of my rifle on a Single stage.

Bought a Forster Co Ax yet? :)

ICUDIEN
01-22-2010, 01:52 AM
No sir. I have a Rockchucker, I have only been reloading for a couple of years but I am going to start buying Forster dies from now on. I hear they make great stuff.

kleeber
01-22-2010, 02:25 AM
I like the 650, especially for pistol, because with 5 stations you can use the powder-level check die. Gives me peace of mind when I'm loading cartridges where a double charge could go unnoticed on a progressive. When I pull a case to check the powder weight on a scale, I always to it at the powder check station so I can't screw up and put an empty case back in.

There's a lot going on when you pull the handle, so it can take a while to get used to them. But, if you do lots of single stage loading, should be no problem.

Get the case feeder. The Dillon dies are quite nice.

Hammer
01-22-2010, 04:28 AM
Don't know nothin' 'bout reloading.

Don't know nothin' 'bout no Dillons.

But blue is a nice color.

GaCop
01-22-2010, 11:11 AM
I've been loading on a 550 since 1988. I do various pistol calibers along with 7mm/08 and 308. I've seen no difference in accuracy loading rifle rounds on the Dillon versus using my RCBS Rockchucker. The last few years, I leave my 550 set up for 45 acp and load all my rifle rounds on the RCBS. I've had zero problems with the Dillon after loading thousands of rounds over the years.

laportecharlie
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I bought a used Dillon 550 (not a B) in 1986. I called Dillon with a question and by the time I was off the phone Dillon was sending me the parts to upgrade to the "B" configuration, exchanging some dies that I didn't need for some I did and the same with a case trim die. All at no cost!. That same machine has loaded well over 300,000 rounds and has been rebuilt twice by Dillon at no cost to me. Dillon changed the entire reloading industry with their "No BS" warranty.
Charlie

EFBell
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Hammer don't know nothing about dillon because he only has about a dozen of them. He will need about a dozen more before he fully understands them. I have heard that he is working on a belt operated line shaft powered by an old polaris 4 wheeler with a tire removed to operat all 24 at once when he finally reaches the 24 dillon mark.

I only have one (original 450) that I have had for almost 30 years. So I really haven't learned too much yet either. Probably because it never gave me any problems.

Hammer
01-22-2010, 06:19 PM

... powered by an old polaris 4 wheeler...

Actually a Yamaha 600. The six speed transmission adds something to the process.

Converting the Yamaha to propane since there is 4,000 gallons next to the shed.

The Dillon 1050 is easier to convert to hydraulic than the Dillon 650.

The shotshell presses are Spolar. Spolar gold goes well with Dillon blue.

The original dozen Dillon are on the east side of the shed where the sun rises over the continental divide.

The others are on the west side where the sun sits over the Snake.

But some haven't been unboxed yet.

Senderofan
01-22-2010, 06:30 PM
Purchased my 550B from Brian Enos a couple of years ago. For a fairly simple machine....it puts out some very nice rounds. If you're needin' high production numbers...the 650 or ultimately the 1050 would serve you and generations after you.

I'm thoroughly satisfied with my Dillon.....I still use my Rockchucker for all my bolt rifles though..

Good Luck,

Wayne

ICUDIEN
01-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Everyone!

Monkeymaster
01-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Dillon 550 for pistol rounds.
Had a lee progessive, nothing but trouble.
I have a rock chucker for the rifle, and the dillon for my revolvers.
Takes a little trying out at first, keep radio, tv off and wife and kids out if you have them, after that, sweet !
Dillon will treat you like royalty, just call and ask.
They are 1st CLASS !

dcloco
01-23-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks Everyone!

LOL!....but how much did this thread cost you? Sorry bud...."blue koolaid" is about as bad as the "savage/stevens" hobby.

ICUDIEN
01-23-2010, 01:26 AM
I was thinking about the RCBS progressive since I hear their customer service is second to none also. But after hearing all of you guys talking about "Blue koolaide" you guys might have changed my mind for good!

hershey
01-23-2010, 08:21 AM
you won't be disapointed with dillon customer service either.

got 2 550's. for pistol you can really crank out the rounds, for rifle blasting ammo it is very fast too. if you need precision target ammo you will need to slow down a bit, but David Tubbs sais he loads much of his ammo on one (per his video), so i'd say thats a good vote. the type of powder you use does affect the accuracy of the throws. if it don't meter well in most throwers, then it won't meter as well in a dillon either. i quite often use the dillon to finish my rounds. i/e deprime/size on an rcbs, do all my case prep, then hand load primer and powder, then seat and crimp in the dillon, basically it saves some time in crimp stage, as you don't have to touch it again once you plop the bullet on top the case.

rjtfroggy
01-23-2010, 11:03 AM
Personally I like the single stage RCBS (rockchucker), I like the solitude and just being able to clear my mind for a couple hours a few times a week. I also like precession so I weigh all my loads, electronic dispenser onto a digital scale and then every 5-6 rounds onto the balance scale, I try to stay under .1grn.
I do this with rifle or hand gun ammo,even all my shotgun stuff 12,16 20,and 410, but hey I'm retired and have the time. If I decided to go progressive it would probably be the RCBS just to stay with what I have been using.