PDA

View Full Version : 6mmBR rifle

danh19
03-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Hey guys,

I'd like to put together a 6mmBR rifle, but the factory options from Savage all appear to be single shot. I would like a repeater with an internal box magazine so I can load from the top. Alternatively a DBM setup would be acceptable as well, but my second choice.

I was thinking about purchasing a model 12 BVSS, getting an aftermarket barrel chambered in 6mm BR and doing the swap. I would also like to have the barrel threaded 5/8-24. I have seen 6mm BR factory Savage drop box magazines for sale, but haven't ever seen parts for other configurations. Does anyone have any advice on this? I have little practical experience, just some searching around here and google time. From what I can tell Savage did offer the configuration I'm looking for as a 4+1 internal box in the model 18622 but it is discontinued and I have been unable to find one.

Thanks,
Dan

jonbearman
03-31-2013, 01:54 AM
I would call the factory with your query or maybe sharpshooter will chime in.It has been done but feeding is usually finicky from everything I read.If you could somehow use the centerfeed box mag or internal mag that would probably be best as they feed so smooth. Ceck with jim briggs at northland shooters supply at 1-763-682-4296 or try calling SSS and see if you can get ahold of them for the best advice.

danh19
03-31-2013, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reply, I will check with them and see what they have to say. I was hoping that someone on here would have some first-hand experience.

Am I over thinking this? Can the detachable magazine be loaded from the top without removing the magazine? I've never had my hands on one so I'm not entirely sure. If that's the case the DBM setup sounds like a no brainer.

bootsmcguire
03-31-2013, 02:37 PM
If you can find a DBM box unit for 6BR, just pop the bottom plate off. It snaps on and off. The Centerfeed DBM mag uses the same mag body as the blind internal mags. I too have seen the DBM's for 6BR for sale before, but not just the body.

mugsie
04-01-2013, 03:22 PM
I built the same thing. Call Jim at NSS and he'll walk you through it. Good guy to deal with. I purchased a varment action from him, center feed with a DBM and for the mag he offered me a shortened mag set up for the 6mm BR cartridge. I shoot this thing often and haven't had any problems either in chambering or in extracting. One word of caution though - the 6mm BR cartridge is short, so during extraction you may find the cartridge lying on top of the others rather than being thrown over the side. Once you develope a feel for the speed to extract, you'll be fine. I also purchased a larger sized ball bearing from SSS to aid in holding on to the cartridge a little longer prior to the extractor flipping it out. Bottom line, Call Jim, speak to him, then call SSS and talk to them. Both will answer any questions you may have. You won't be sorry you spoke to either one of them.