PDA

View Full Version : Lee Progressives

ICUDIEN
01-21-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if they are any good, I would only be using them for my .45 and 9mms so it wouldnt need to be super accurate just produce ammo that would function in a semi auto.

viper9696
01-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I bought the hornady LNL,(because I wanted to load many calibers) but a buddy has the cheap lee progressive for 9mm and 1 for 40s&w and has loaded 1000's of rounds with little issues he bought the second because he said switch back and forth stinks and for the price he just bought another one

lal357
01-21-2010, 09:42 PM
i use the lee turret for my 357 and 223 rnds i just set them up and then swap out turrets i'm about to order some more turrets for my other pistol calibers

laportecharlie
01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I started my reloading career with a Lee 1000 progressive. It is a miracle that I kept reloading after that nightmare. For a progressive: Dillon or the Hornady LNL

davemuzz
01-21-2010, 10:18 PM
My shootin buddy had a Lee. I watched him load on that thing. It made a lot of noise.....shook a lot....had a lot of plastic.....but he loaded a bunch of 44mag with it.

He now loads with a Dillon.

I load with a Hornady LNL for my high volume stuff. And for my lower volume stuff, I use a RockChucker.

FWIW

Dave

bythebook
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
I have loaded many many rounds of 45, 357, and 38 on my Lee pro 1000s . The 45 has been pretty good but the 38 357 is really finicky when it comes to rythem and using steady motions. I think if I were to start reloading pistol ammo again I would try to buy a Dillon.

cutter37372
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
I have loaded literally THOUSANDS of rounds on my Dillon 550. It only screws up when I do something wrong. I only use it for pistol rounds, have an old single stage for rifle or heavy 44 mag. If you really want to crank 'em out, I do 3-400 in an hour at a leisurely pace, Dillon all the way!

Cutter

EFBell
01-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Dillon! if you have the funds get the dillon.

savageboy
01-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I have a Lee Loadmaster and have had it for years. My Dad had one for a month as he experienced everhthing I did and didn't want to live with it. I only use it for 45 and 9mm and ocassionally 223. I can tell you the following: 1. The priming mechanism is terrible- I have tried for years to make it work, its jammed, broken parts, etc. to the point that I do all priming on the my single stage press and never use the priming- EVER on the Lee Loadmaster.2. Nothing "Automatic" works good- ever- on it- Automatic Case or bullet feeding, Powder return, etc. 3. I can make the powder thing work, however the return ( a cheap little chain thing) has broken so many times and been replaced so many times I do not want to make it work, so I do all my powder throwing w/ a seperate powder thower. So after years of working w/ it 1. I would never recommend it to anyone. It is an exercise in frustration. Heres how I use it now:

I resize, prime and bell the case mouths on my single station redding press.
I throw the powder charge w/ my seperate powder thrower.
I seat and crimp (in 1 operation- Yeeahhhh!)w/ my Lee Loadmaster.

Anything else is asking for trouble. If I didn't already have it and I really don't load for pistol much anymore, I would never have kept the thing

ICUDIEN
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
wow! Thanks guys! You guys just changed my mind from even trying one!

GaCop
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
A very wise decision!

Monkeymaster
01-22-2010, 08:39 PM
Ditto on the 1000 lee, what a nightmare !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dillon 550 is the ticket. Try to buy one used, if funds are an issue, I did, and dillon sent took care of me with a new manual, and answers that I had.
They are 1st CLASS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Good luck !