PDA

View Full Version : New Axis

Vt Rebel
03-30-2013, 07:43 AM
I ordered my axis from Gander Mtn and got it in three days for 299. It did not come with bases as some have said. The stock does not flex as many have said also! I mounted weaver bases and millet rings and I installed a Nikon monarch scope to it. Also decided to get a rifle basix trigger for ease of adjustments. First group after zeroing was under 1/2 inch!!! Could not have asked for better initial results.

Thanks

Dr Honda
03-30-2013, 10:24 AM
I know the feeling.

I bought my first Savage Axis 3 weeks ago. (270) I got it at WalMart for $277. Mine had the mounts... but no scope. It was on the paper, and sighted to 100 yrds in 5~6 shots. After that... the shots were dang near touching.

I was so impressed with the gun... I bought a second one, in 223 last weekend. The local chain store (Dunnum's) had the Axis on sale, with the Bushnell scope for $289 !!!!!!!! (how could I pass up on that??)

What I find is strange... the 270 stock is much better than the 223 in stiffness. I know the mag well is different... so I'm going to assume that they aren't exactly the same design.

The only thing I've noticed with both guns, is that as I squeeze the trigger... the cross hairs drop. So... both stocks are flexing, under the action. it's not a big deal for a medium/large game hunter. But it's enough to mess up a long shot on a small critter, or a target.

Vt Rebel
03-30-2013, 10:44 AM
When I got the rifle, it had a 6 1/2 pound pull on it. After I installed the basix trigger and adjusted it to 2 lbs it was smooth and no flex in the stock. I wonder if spraying expanding foam into the stock area would help those with stock flex?

Dr Honda
03-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Some guys are filling the voids with resin, and putting steel, or carbon rods in the front. But that just adds to the weight. Since I will use mine for hunting... I will probably leave the original stocks alone. BUT... I may work on an upgraded stock for targets.

pisgah
03-30-2013, 11:02 AM
I have a .223 and a .270, and for me flex is no issue. Yes, both stocks have some flex, especially in the forend; but unless you want a bipod (which I emphatically do not) the flex will cause a problem only if you use bad shooting technique.

What's "bad"? If you are using any kind of a rest, it's putting heavy down pressure against the rest with the forend, forcing it against the barrel. Such heavy pressure makes for a very solid sight picture, but interferes with the vibration pattern that every barrel has. This will not happen when you are shooting "standing on your hind legs" because you physically cannot exert enough pressure to cause it (except sideways, with excessive sling tension); but with a rest, look out. Rest the forend as close to the action as you can, and exert only enough downward pressure to steady things up; you want the gun sitting firmly on the rest and not welded to it by force.

Tinkering with my guns is great fun, but all the stiffening work I see going on is unnecessary unless you want to make the Axis in to something other than what, IMO, it was designed to be -- a light, walkaround hunting rifle with exceptional accuracy.

dirtysquared
03-30-2013, 11:53 AM
Glad you got a new axis! Enjoy it. I did tighten up my stock, using rods and epoxy, I also filled in the butt with expanding foam. The reason being I am using this gun to shoot Varmints at the 200-500 yard distances and it definitly helps to be tight. I must say that it shoots wonderfully, and I didn't spend an arm and leg on it.

Fred

Predator53
03-30-2013, 03:06 PM
I also bought one on Friday....just could nt pass it up....awsome looking rifle.....I hav nt shot it yet....but in the next week or so..I ll be at the range....its mostly going to be coyote rifle...when I hunt up in the mountains.I ll be shooting 58 gr vmax and 100gr Winchester SuperX for deer in the fall...What grains are getting good patterns for you guys?Pred53

pisgah
03-30-2013, 03:39 PM
I have tried Winchester 55 gr. JHPs, plus Russian Silver Bear 62 gr. JSPs in my .223. They all group under 1/2", with the worst (?) being the Silver Bear averaging .495. My .270 goes .895" with 130 gr. Remington ammo, .800 with Winchester 130 Power Points. Averages are for 5 consecutive, 3-shot groups, 100 yds.

Vt Rebel
03-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Have any of you tried Custom turret systems? You can order a dope tape that fits your elevation knob and corrects for range. I sent them an email and they sent me a tape to measure my elevation knob. You can get four sets of tapes for different loads and still be less than one set of knobs from Nikon! One tape only cost $20.00. Best part is they make tapes for any scope!

Predator53
03-30-2013, 07:02 PM
I'm going to keep it simple with this axis....problay just do a trigger job on it...I won t be shooting over 300 yards.....with it.....so nothing is going to be modified except trigger...My belief is if you start to tinker with things..your going to break something.