PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis bolt issue

Nnewman
03-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Hello guys im new to this site and fairly new to guns. I have recently purchased a savage axis and I've fired about 100 rounds thru it now when I pull the bolt back it uncocks and I can't get it to cock back some times I do but just falls back down when I try to reload. Any suggestions? Please help

thomae
03-29-2013, 02:29 PM
I'm not sure I understand. Can you explain in more detail? Annotated pictures may help readers/members help you.

Nnewman
03-29-2013, 03:10 PM
When I pull the bolt back to load the little spring releases and I cant get the bolt bak in because has to be recocked

fgw_in_fla
03-29-2013, 04:35 PM
If I understand him correctly, I HAD a similar situation. If I yanked to bolt back too hard it would uncock itself. Then, I'd have to pull it out & recock it on the edge of then bench.
I took a small round file & cut the notch in the bolt body a snootch deeper. Remember: 1 Snootch = .010" (+or-).... (The notch where the cocking button thingie locks into when it's cocked.)
A little polishing to get the file marks out of the bolt body & good to go.
And yes, the bolt body is very hard. Take your time, slowly remove a little metal at a time, check & test frequently. It's not a major ordeal.
And most of all...
Have fun doing it.

Tack
03-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Snootch??? Where's that Webster?

fgw_in_fla
03-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Snootch..

Tad....

And when you get into the real small stuff - Flognart...
145 microns = 1.67 flognarts.

Nnewman
03-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Hey thanks fgw_in_fla that's worked perfect just in time to blast a few gophers, but now after I fired a round the cartridge seems to be stuck at the nd of the bolt and I have to flick it off every time. Is my ejected pin messed up?

fgw_in_fla
03-29-2013, 09:30 PM
Wow... You're just loaded with troubles lately....

Case stuck in the end of the bolt? Sounds like the ejector spring is a little weak. Maybe a lotta weak. Pull the bolt, Take an empty case or 3, stick them in the bolt one at a time & see if you have any spring tesion. See if the extractor is working & lastly, see if the opening in the end of the bolt is cut a big enough diameter to allow the case to release.
I've had ejector springs get jammed up because of soot jamming it in the bolt.
Happy gopher hunting...

palerider338
03-30-2013, 09:20 PM
@ Nnewman : Any time I get a new or used rifle the first things I do are disassemble, clean and re-lube everything especially the bolt. Usually flush it thoroughly with brake cleaner then soak it in Break Free and stand it up bolt down to drain. You'd be amazed at the crud that comes straight from the factory. Had the firing pin on a brand new $1500 1911 pistol jam after 10 rounds due to swarf in the firing pin area.

Nnewman
03-31-2013, 11:09 AM
I'll try that as soon as im back from work thanks guys for all your speedy replies and helping a beginner out.