PDA

View Full Version : Savage Hunter XP

straightsilver3
03-29-2013, 11:31 AM
I've got a Savage 11 Hunter Xp in 308 That I plan to make some changes to First off This Boyd's stock http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=19025&cat=1223 My rifle has a DBM no accu trigger no accustock I would like to use the ACCU MAG system that's out. How much work is involved to make this fit? the gentleman at ACCU MAG says I have to change screws. What length and Thread type Do I use? Second what type of receiver is this? I see Savage makes a round and a flat I believe this is a New manufacture rifle, I'm not sure Private sale. I'm interested in a Steel Warne 1 pc Pica base without the 20 moa. I'm keeping the Sporter barrel and will probably buy a mid priced scope. Any Help? Thanks

straightsilver3
03-29-2013, 07:33 PM
wow

palerider338
03-29-2013, 08:13 PM
Screws : 1/4 x 28 TPI ( 5/32 hex Round heads )......buy 1 1/2 inch ones and cut to size so they don't protrude into the bolt head or raceways.
If the AccuMag system comes with a trigger guard ( IIRC it does) then it should be almost a drop in....maybe some minor fiddling with the Savage Adjustment Tool aka Dremel.

If the receiver has a flat area at the back it's an older Flat back model.....if not then it's a newer model. Just make sure you get the correct rail for it. Warnes are good but so are EGW, Milletts and others. IIRC the Hunter model is based on the 10/110 but without the newer AccuTrigger and has the bolt release on the side of the receiver.

Scope selection would depend on what your end use is: short range hunting, target or 500 yards + shooting AND also what your budget allows. FWIW....don't go too cheap on a scope and rings....they won't last. Should be able to get some decent glass for around $500....just depends on your end use.

BTW....the Boyds stocks don't come with bedding pillars installed. When you bed the rifle ( recommended) you can buy some 3/8 hollow threaded rod ( like you use in lamp fixtures) , cut them to size and epoxy then in place BEFORE you do the bedding job.

straightsilver3
03-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Thank you Palerider That was a lot of good info