PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound right for a build?

Duramax33
03-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Ok I picked up a Savage 111 in .300 Win Mag sporter barrel non accutrigger really like the round and dont want to change but when we sighted it in could tell the longer we shot the more they moved around. So what I am thinking as of now is going with a new barrel and stock then jumping to a better scope. So how does this stuff sound and will it work with my gun?
http://www.mcgowenoutlet.com/prefits/savage.html
.300 Win. Mag.
26" Standard Varmint 416R Stainless Steel Match
May even go with the 28" just havent really set down and thought that hard about it yet.
Or there is this
http://www.gunshack.com/savagebarrels?product_id=327

For the stock not much out there in the long action area but thinking price wise and that they are in stock most of the time just going with the choate Ultimate Varmint stock
http://www.tacticalworks.com/Choate-Ultimate-Varmint-Stock-Savage-Long-Action.html
I like this one as well
http://www.eabco.com/store/savage-rifle-accessories/choate-tactical-savage-stock-bedded-free-floated-with-adjustable-spacer-system/
Add to this a Recoil lug and the barrel wrench and all the other stuff. Anything I am missing or that will not work? Thanks just new to anything more than rimfire stuff.

Aircraftmech76
03-29-2013, 04:13 AM
If shots are "moving around", you may have a bedding or barrel-to-stock clearance problem.

Duramax33
03-29-2013, 04:30 AM
Its just all factory so I would guess all of the above. With just the sporter barrel it doesnt take to many shots to get it hot so just figured maybe kill two or three birds with a stone or two. Thats why I thought I would do a barrel and stock.

scope eye
03-29-2013, 05:29 AM
Hey Max33, What you are encountering is called barrel drift, the heavier the barrel the more shots you can take before being subject to it, although the heavier the barrel the longer it takes to cool down, I would go with the 28" McGowen you can't go wrong, do that first then reevaluate the stock, and then the scope, only go on to the next component, after is installed and settled in the way you want it, that way if something is not right with the next upgrade, that was the last thing you did so you know where to look and are not chasing a bunch of parts, speaking of which next week, my 30" 12 twist 300 WinMag McGowen should be here can't wait.

Tanks Dean

FW Conch
03-29-2013, 09:54 AM
When I get a new build rifle, I like to get it shooting it's absolute best before I change anything. Then, like Dean said, I change one component @ a time, so I know where the improvements are coming from. One change we can almost always count on for improvement is the stock. If it were me, I'd get the Chote stock first, drop your unit in it & see what you get from that improvement, then take it from there. But, of course, if you want to save time & drop all the money @ once, we here will cheer you on & look forward to your report on the outcome. :) ! ! .... Good Luck Jim

stangfish
03-29-2013, 02:32 PM
If you are shooting a 300 win mag you need to have someone sit next to you with their eys on your trigger hand and arm. Unless you are very experienced, the recoil will cause you to do strange things. A brake and a heavy barrel help with those issues. A lightweight 300wm will make you do some crazy things. after 3 or 4 rounds. I have seen it too many times.

"Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character"

rattfink
03-29-2013, 02:46 PM
If you are shooting a 300 win mag you need to have someone sit next to you with their eys on your trigger hand and arm. Unless you are very experienced, the recoil will cause you to do strange things. A brake and a heavy barrel help with those issues. A lightweight 300wm will make you do some crazy things. after 3 or 4 rounds. I have seen it too many times.

"Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character"

I trick for shooting magnum handguns I have used to counter the flinch is having a buddy load the wheel for you leaving an empty chamber or two without you knowing which. You really notice your flinch and lean when you hit that empty chamber and it reminds you to let the recoil surprise you.

Perhaps the same could be accomplished in a long gun with training rounds or snapcaps.

ellobo
03-29-2013, 03:54 PM
If you are letting the barrel cool and the shots still wander check that the barrel is really free floated. If not, fix it. The other thing I would do is change scopes. 9 times out of ten your problem can be traced to the scope. Both those are cheaper fixes than what you want to do.

El Lobo

Duramax33
03-29-2013, 06:31 PM
I guess I should of made it clear I understand I could Make the gun shoot better with bedding it free floating the barrel but since I wanted a different stock why would a put the time and effort to do this. I was more just looking to see if the barrels I picked work work and if the stock would work with my gun. I think I need a small shank and with the magazine attached to the action I think its a staggered feed long action so will any Long action staggered feed stock.

Duramax33
03-29-2013, 06:41 PM
I trick for shooting magnum handguns I have used to counter the flinch is having a buddy load the wheel for you leaving an empty chamber or two without you knowing which. You really notice your flinch and lean when you hit that empty chamber and it reminds you to let the recoil surprise you.

Perhaps the same could be accomplished in a long gun with training rounds or snapcaps.
I have shot a lot of .41 Rem Mag. and that's the way I was taught to shoot it. Still do this every now and then just to make sure I am not flinching.

tammons
03-29-2013, 07:22 PM
Sporter barrels move. Its a magnum so its going to get hot fast.
Personally I would not keep it a 300WM for target. If you are trying to shoot 1000
a 6.5 something or 7mm something, 7mm WSM, 280 etc would be better.

If hunting Elk or something like that then you might want to keep it a 300 WM.
If you plan to hunt with it get a 24-26" barrel.
Long barrels are cumbersome for hunting and personally I dont like anything over 22" for a hunter.

I just got a 30" bull barrel and its one heavy sucker. Makes for a really heavy gun. Also 28" may not fit in your case.
I have one huge heavy case that my 30" barreled rifle will fit in.

IMO so grain of salt, Select a caliber with less recoil and no magnum belt, Do the barrel, recoil lug and a good stock. Later add a SSS trigger and a better scope.

The Choate stocks are nice and you dont need to bed them. Ult Varmint is good and I shot my best groups to date with one, but I like a more conventional choate tactical stock so I got one of those. They are in stock at Eabco. That said all the choate stocks are heavy. My 30" barreled rifle with a Choate stock now weighs just under 15#.

If a combo hunter a Duromax would be a better stock and lighter with a great fit and great recoil pad or swap out stocks.
The Medalist is more of a varmint target style stock and a nice one too and not so heavy like a choate tactical.