PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Chassis stock for the Axis. Discuss.

Pages : 1 [2]

fgw_in_fla
04-04-2013, 10:25 AM
Maybe this will give y'all an idea or 2. After the first stock / tube is completed to prototype status, I'll have UPS pick up & bring here for test & evaluation. Always willing to help my fellow Savage Shooters....
http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/gunsmithing/barrel-block-on-savage-action-f-tr-rig/

Dr Honda
04-05-2013, 08:09 AM
Cheapshot:

Have you put your hands on one of those Mako stocks yet?? I have a few thoughts:

1) I was just getting a visual on all of this... and it may not fit properly. Basically... I'm thinking that the bolt will hit the top of the stock/mount.

2) How firm are these stocks? The point of the project is to remove flex. But... since the stock only mounts with one bolt... we may run into the problem where the rear stock flexes as you squeeze the trigger. On a shot gun, it's not really a factor.

The Mossburg version may be better since the mount is farther back, but the bolt may still hit it. Lowering the mount would be the solution... but since we are dealing with a built in pistol grip... that needs to be in the proper location. I know it's more work... but I'm starting to think that my original suggestion with an AR stock will work the best. BUT... then the AR grip would also need fitted.

Just thinking out loud.

cheapshot
04-05-2013, 03:29 PM
Havent handled a mako yet.

I dropped off the factory stock and a Mossberg butt stock today to the machinist for him to mess around with and give me some ideas. I see what you are saying about the possible flex in the pistol grip portion but I have a similar stock on a Mossberg 500 and on a H&R handi rifle and have zero flex. As of right now, I don't foresee it being an issue. It very well could be though.

I am not opposed to using an AR setup but if the Mossberg will work it will save cost in the machining, material, and actual cost of the stock and pistol grip itself.

cheapshot
04-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Also, I received my M14 magazine and I am pretty sure that it will work.

Dr Honda
04-05-2013, 04:14 PM
OK...

I was going to get the 870 version... but I didn't want to drop $150, and then have it sit. It looks like I can get some AR take-off's cheap. The pistol grip is about $5, and maybe $20~$30 for the stock. I think I'm going to start there.

Post up some pics whenever you get something done.

Elsifer
04-09-2013, 05:28 PM
With some really quick googling, I've found that there are DBM kits for Accuracy International mags for the Sav 110 series.
Since the bolt fact of the Axis is the same as the 110, should not an AI mag work? And they're plenty available in the .308 class of cartridges (.243 & 7-08).

"Tube Stocks"
www.aihpa.com/Sponsor/Tikka_T3_Tube_Stock/T3.htm
http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek074.html

Now for the Axis, because the action already has it's own "body", there only needs to be access for the ejection port, rear of the bolt, and the bold handle thru the "tube gun receiver + barrel shroud".
The grip, trigger guard, can be a machined "lower" similar to an AR style, with some sort of magwell for common AI mags.

Due to the integrated nature of the Axis action, I suspect this can all be constructed from an aluminium tube, some sort of "lower grip/guard/magwell, the bolted mounting block pictured elsewhere in this forum, and some sort of rear butt (tube, solid, folding, whatever).

And of course, powder-coated to your hearts desires.

But the real question *I* have, will the AI mag work? Not with the stock Axis stock. But with the bolt and action in general.

cheapshot
04-10-2013, 04:56 PM
I see no reason why an AI mag wouldn't work. I was trying to find something on the cheap.

Dr Honda
04-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Any update from your machinist buddy?

I finally got caught up in my shop... so I may try to do a little measuring tonight.

sinman
04-12-2013, 02:27 PM
AR barrel threads are .8125"x18tpi

To the best of my knowledge (smarter people on the forum, please correct me as required):

Standard shank Savage barrels and receivers (including Axis) are 1.055" x 20tpi.

Standard AR15 barrel threads are 1.25x18tpi.

I think you would have to deal with the extra diameter of a handguard around the barrel by using higher scope mounts and probably a modified cheekrest to move the shooters head higher to deal with the higher scope mounting.

cheapshot
04-12-2013, 02:35 PM
Not yet. I have been a bit distracted with a .308 and .300 Win build. I have an XLR chassis on the way for my .300 and hope to get a few ideas once I receive it. Should be here sometime mid to late next week.

thomae
04-12-2013, 03:32 PM
AR barrel threads are .8125"x18tpi
Thanks for the correction...

sinman
04-12-2013, 03:55 PM
it actually might be 16tpi, I will have to look at my notes but I believe the size is correct.

thomae
04-12-2013, 07:49 PM
This is what I saw that made me suggest what I did.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/taps-dies/ar-15-m16-receiver-taps-dies-prod636.aspx (http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/rifle-tools/taps-dies/ar-15-m16-receiver-taps-dies-prod636.aspx)

sinman
04-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Yep it is .8125x16TPI, that tap and die are for the buffer tube.

thomae
04-13-2013, 07:21 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again until the day I die. "I have a lot to learn!"
Again, thanks for the correction and not jumping down my throat about it.
Yep it is .8125x16TPI, that tap and die are for the buffer tube.

sinman
04-13-2013, 07:32 PM
No problem, everyone has a lot to learn, willing to learn now that is what matters.

drybean
04-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Sinman,I must say thankyour for your help,ansering my call for help
over the last few years

thank you again,
Jim