PDA

View Full Version : Converting bottom bolt release

Duipowerstroke
03-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Has anyone converted from a bottom bolt release to a side? I heard its just a different sear bracket and button.

LRJammer
03-27-2013, 05:38 PM
When I spoke to Kevin Rahill at Stockade about some work he was going to do for me, he asked and said that that was something that could be done but sounded like it was a bit of a pain. He is a great guy to deal with. Give him a call and see what he has to say.

stangfish
03-27-2013, 08:55 PM
I heard its just a different sear bracket and button. ......And a great big flat milled into the side of the action.

bodywerks
04-03-2013, 11:08 AM
......And a great big flat milled into the side of the action.
Technically, that is correct. But its a pretty simple procedure for anyone with a mill. I was going to do it myself but the mill i have access to is 450 miles away. I had to send the action in for a rebarrel anyway, and my gunsmith offered to do it for am hour's labor - $50. Fair price to me.
Another option, which is what CDI precision has you do to make their bottom metal fit, is just jb weld a fabricated tab to your existing sear that protrudes up out of the stock and grind off the tab that links to the trigger guard button. A little extra inletting of the stock would be needed for the tab, but that's easier than milling down your receiver.