PDA

View Full Version : Bull Barrel Stock

mdbs9337
03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Hello all,
I purchased a Savage Arms 26" bull barrel in .308 for my long action 110 and I'm looking for a stock. I would prefer Synthetic but I am open to ideas. Any advice on where to buy one?

big honkin jeep
03-27-2013, 03:05 PM
You can buy a new stock or possibly tweak the one you have if it's a factory synthetic. I was able to tweak a factory synthetic long action stock to fit a barrel from a model 10 BA by using boiling water. I took a propane turkey fryer pot and filled it with water. I then brought the water to a boil and put the fore end of a standard pillar bedded stock into the water for about 5 minutes until it became a little bit pliable. I then used a large1" broom handle and forced it down the length of the stock from the tang to the end of the fore end channel. I wrapped it up to hold the barrel in place until the stock cooled. After cooling the stock fit the new barrel fine. It was straight and free floated. I havent had any problems with it at all.
Just thought I'd throw it out there as a low cost possible option for ya.
Good Luck BHJ

PS. It's been a while since I did it and I seem to remember I did remove a small amount of material from the fore end tip with a Dremel. other than that it was a piece of cake.

pitsnipe
03-27-2013, 03:52 PM
You can buy a new stock or possibly tweak the one you have if it's a factory synthetic. I was able to tweak a factory synthetic long action stock to fit a barrel from a model 10 BA by using boiling water. I took a propane turkey fryer pot and filled it with water. I then brought the water to a boil and put the fore end of a standard pillar bedded stock into the water for about 5 minutes until it became a little bit pliable. I then used a large1" broom handle and forced it down the length of the stock from the tang to the end of the fore end channel. I wrapped it up to hold the barrel in place until the stock cooled. After cooling the stock fit the new barrel fine. It was straight and free floated. I havent had any problems with it at all.
Just thought I'd throw it out there as a low cost possible option for ya.
Good Luck BHJ

PS. It's been a while since I did it and I seem to remember I did remove a small amount of material from the fore end tip with a Dremel. other than that it was a piece of cake.

This sounds like a good lead in for a Jeff Foxworthy "You MIGHT be a Redneck if you have EVER used a TURKEY frier to............"

Sorry, just HAD to.

rattfink
03-27-2013, 04:12 PM
You might peruse the classified section here and see if someone has a model 12 stock they're selling or maybe one of the sponsored vendors has a factory 12 stock for sale.

mdbs9337
03-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the tip big honkin jeep.

mdbs9337
03-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Great idea. I didn't know a Model 12 stock would fit the 110.

big honkin jeep
03-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Just make sure the screw spacing is the same.

As far as the turkey frier method I've been doing some tinkering with thermoplastic lately and just thought why not. It formed well and set firm when cooled to a varmint barrel channel which is what I needed. The price was definitely right so win, win , win.