PDA

View Full Version : 100 - 300 yard benchrest gun

N1YDP22
03-27-2013, 12:22 PM
i have a model 116 fsak in 270 and want to turn it into a benchrest rifle.i was thinking about a 6mm br or 223 barrel.

CharlieNC
03-28-2013, 04:34 PM
Both my 6BR and 223 shoot great at those ranges. If loading cost is a factor the 223 uses a little less powder, lighter bullets (cheaper), and cheap brass is available (well, under normal circumstances). Your current bolt will work for the 6BR, but you will need to change to smaller bolt for the 223.

82boy
03-29-2013, 01:02 AM
i have a model 116 fsak in 270 and want to turn it into a benchrest rifle.i was thinking about a 6mm br or 223 barrel.
What is your definition of a "Benchrest rifle"? (Building a gun that you will shoot off of a bench is not a "Benchrest rifle.") If your looking to build a true Benchrest rifle you would be better off, buying as custom action, and building it. It is not that you can not do it with the gun you have , but there is just a ton of better parts (IE stocks, scope bases, ETC) available for the Remington design rifles. With a custom action you will have a left port, or a dual port, which making shooting faster, (A big key in Benchrest shooting.) and once you put the money into a Savage (IE trigger, true and time, ETC.) your close to the same amount of money as buying a custom action. You have along action which even add to the trouble of making the 10.5 lbs weight restriction, and with the longer throw of the bolt makes cycling slowed down. Last off, a true Benchrest rifle will be chambered in some sort of PPC caliber, a 223 or a 6BR just will not hang with them.

12fv 308
03-30-2013, 12:48 PM
82Boy is right. I bought an old 112V single shot in 243. Had a used 6ppc benchrest change to 6br and fitted to my action and bedded to my factory wood stock. It came out great and got me started into benchrest, but it is no benchrest gun. I am learning a lot with it but I know if I want to get more into it I need another gun.