PDA

View Full Version : Model 25: 25 in 22 Hornet

Pages : 1 [2]

davemuzz
01-17-2014, 08:37 AM
Plinkin....I still have a quantity of both. But if you look at the link in my previous post in this link, the Noslers group better than the Bergers....at least from my rifle. And that was just using H-335. Since deer season came in, I've ignored any further load development.....but it won't be long until that will change.

Dave

buddyb
01-19-2014, 05:57 PM
I have the M25 22 Hornet with the laminate stock. For C.O.A.L. I simply took a 5/32 round chain saw file while pushing down the mag spring with a butter knife a filed a slot in the front of the mag to allow me to load three cartridges of 40 gr. V-Max out to 1.880. If I remember correctly I'm .030 of the lands. Currently the gun is at Savage for repair due to sticking cases and failler to extract and or eject

plinkin
01-26-2014, 02:10 AM
I have the M25 22 Hornet with the laminate stock. For C.O.A.L. I simply took a 5/32 round chain saw file while pushing down the mag spring with a butter knife a filed a slot in the front of the mag to allow me to load three cartridges of 40 gr. V-Max out to 1.880. If I remember correctly I'm .030 of the lands. Currently the gun is at Savage for repair due to sticking cases and failure to extract and or eject

You REALLY don't want to load that bullet out that far. Forget about how much of a jump it has. I know this goes against everything you may have heard or read but in my Savage 40 22 Hornet the absolutely most accurate round in the Hornady 35gr Vmax factory load. It is also the shortest of the factory loads I have seen. Randomly checking them for OAL I find they differ yet with the current scope they all land in the same hold at 50 yards.

Trying to load that short bullet out that far you have a greater change of the bullet hitting the lands off center than if it has to jump .200"

If you were loading 55+ grain pills then load them long. Don't take my word for it though, buy some Hornady 22H & try it yourself. I am still trying to get a load worked up that shoots that good. Hoping the weather breaks so I can put some loads together & try them out in both the 40 & the 25 along with the BMag

BillPa
01-26-2014, 03:01 PM
A rifle primer starts the bullet moving before the powder gets lit. A pistol-not so much resulting in better accuracy-in the 22H at least.

Correct.

Rocky Raab has preached using a pistol primers or Rem 6-1/2s in the 22 Hornet for years. The necks of Hornet brass is so thin maintaining any sense of consistent bullet tension is next to impossible. As a result using a SR primer may send a bullet into the bore, on the lands or at least partially forward in the neck before the powder is ignited or 100% consumed.

The "cure"? Use a SP primer and crimp the bullets with a Lee Factory Crimp die. The SP primer doesn't have the "oomph" of a SR primer and the crimp prevents bullet movement for a more consistent powder burn.

You can read one of Rocky's posts here > http://www.huntchat.com/showthread.php?t=32813

Bill

papajim47
01-29-2014, 10:01 AM
I have loaded the Hornet since the mid-1990's, very fussy little round to load but lots of fun to shoot. I know this is a Savage forum, but my Hornet is a Ruger #3. Anyway, my best load is the Hornady 40 grain V-Max, 12.7 grains Li'l Gun and CCI or Remington primer at 1.835 OAL. I neck size the fired brass and use a factory crimp die as a last step. My point here is the factory crimp die loads are the ticket. On the other hand this gun will not shoot factory ammo worth a darn. My best three shot group with this load on a 70 degree fall afternoon (2013) (no wind) in South Carolina measured .225" at 90 yards. However, I have never been able to duplicate the group since. Average grouping is in the 5/8" range at 90 yards. The 1.835" OAL is approximately a .050" jump in my Ruger. I am giving serious thought to locating a Model 40 in .22 Hornet and develop it. Thanks, and pardon me for being so long winded.