PDA

View Full Version : Mauser barrel into savage

taxidermyguy
03-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Hello everyone i am new to the site. I was wondering if anyone has ever took a mauser barrel and cut off threads rethreaded and rechambered for a savage small shank? Before everyone tells me it isnt worth it to try so on an so forth i have a friend who is a machinist who has top of the line equipment and a lot of smarts who can do work for me. Second, i love guns and shooting but i dont have hundreds and hundreds of dollars to spare, so i have to enjoy what i can afford!! The mauser barrels look like they have enough "meat" on the shank to do this, just wanna see if anyone else has before!

pdog06
03-26-2013, 06:40 PM
I have never heard of anyone doing it with a mauser barrel before, but wouldnt be surprised if it has been done if the shank is large enough to do it.

As far as affordability, a Savage is about as affordable as you can get. A factory sporter barrel can be had for around $50 around here in our classifieds almost daily.

bootsmcguire
03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
What caliber are you chambering in? I am mostly curious more than anything else.

If there is enough shank to do so, then I don't see why it couldn't be done, but I have not done it myself. The big thing I would look for is the "meat" around the chamber after it is cut down. Making sure there is enough material to safely handle the pressures of the intended round.

What is the OD of the shank area on your Mauser barrel? Small Savage shank threads are 1.055x20 IIRC, so you would need 1.060 give or take to even thread it, let alone making sure there is enough material surrounding the newly cut chamber.

taxidermyguy
03-26-2013, 07:17 PM
the diameter just in front of the threads i will cut off is 1.195. i measured the thread length on a factory savage barrel and it was 1.6" long at this distance my mauser barrel diameter is still 1.093" i have several calibers i would like to "have"!! 7mm-08, .243 win, 221 fireball, 25-06, 300 wsm, 270 wsm and few more....lol

bootsmcguire
03-26-2013, 07:27 PM
I know the feeling, never have too many choices. I guess if you are getting the Mauser barrels for next to nothing then it would be practical, but in the classifieds here you can normally pick up sporter barrels in the standard chamberings from $40 to $80 to your door, lightly used or new in many cases, ready to thread right on.

I know how sometimes its nice to march to the beat of your own drum, so it sounds like if you can then you might as well go ahead with it, but if $$$ is your motivator then I am not sure how the mauser barrels would be any cheaper.

ragsflh
03-27-2013, 07:46 AM
i would pick up take offs.newer barrels better metal than old guns had,but my 2 cents

taxidermyguy
03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
I dont want savage take offs....they are to whippy ...I want heavier barrels...the mauser barrels i have are shilen and douglas barrels not original mauser barrels i got them cheap

JWW123
03-27-2013, 03:37 PM
you are also going to have the price of a reamer $100.00 + maybe take off barrel is a better idea ?

GaryB
03-27-2013, 04:14 PM
This guy is doing it and still making money selling the barrels for cheap.
http://switchbarrel.com/SAV_SALE.htm
And you can rent reamers and head space gauges for cheap. http://4-dproducts.com/display.php?group=Rifle

bootsmcguire
03-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Cheap, good condition Shilen and Douglas barrels + free machine work for only the cost of a reamer rental = your lucky day.

taxidermyguy
03-27-2013, 08:20 PM
thanks for the POSITIVE FEEDBACK guys!!! not 100 for reamer....36.00 rental fee elk ridge reamers....range rods...5.00.....go- no go gauges... 5.00 machine work....case of beer!!!!! after work is done....lol

taxidermyguy
03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
I DO NOT WANT SAVAGE TAKE OFFS!!!!! the factory savage barrels are to thin for my taste that is why i am looking at other options to begin with.....i have 4 savage rifles with factory barrels now.....want a heavier and in a few cases longer than what i have. we just made a 26 inch SS fluted model 12 large shank 22-250 barrel into a small shank the other day....bought barrel for 50 bucks. I think it will be a tackdriver....fingers crossed!!!

sinman
03-27-2013, 10:37 PM
I have fit many different types of barrels to a savage, no mausers yet. The big thing is having the reamers, gauges, and rods. i'd say go for it if you want to rent the reamers and your buddy has the time.

kelbro
03-30-2013, 12:24 AM
This guy is doing it and still making money selling the barrels for cheap.
http://switchbarrel.com/SAV_SALE.htm

I don't think that they have been active for a couple of years now.

GaryB
03-30-2013, 09:26 AM
I don't think that they have been active for a couple of years now.

Really? His site is still up and he has barrels for sale. Odd.
I originally posted the link so the OP could see that there are other people out there doing what he was thinking of doing.
That's all.