PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Breakin???

Pages : 1 2 [3]

jhelmuth
03-31-2013, 09:05 AM
IF (your choice) you are going to perform a break-in procedure, here is what I'd do (and have done)...

[1] Keep ALL shots slow-fire with a minimum of 3 mins between shots. This would keep the barrel reasonably cool and minimize throat errosion from excessive heat. Barrels wear more from excessive heat than any other factor.

[2] Double up on your experience by using those rounds (typically 50) to help you identify possible nodes. Load your break-in rounds as if you are going to develop a load for that barrel. That ought to aid in minimizing your load development cycles.

Those are 2 easy and simple things to incorporate into a barrel break-in and would be a MUST for me.

Now if I were to want to avoid a break-in I would buy a hand lapped barrel...

fgw_in_fla
03-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Ponder this...

> Metal-on-metal will always wear both surfaces (and at different rates congruant with their respective hardness).

> If you have NO clear and conclusive answer to a problem, you may not actually have a problem to begin with

> You cannot prove a negative (other than evidence of absence or proof of impossibility - neither apply to this subject)

> If there is no harm, then why not?

Just my 2 cents....

Words of Wisdom from Big Jim H.
And it is worth noting I have never broken in a barrel on a rifle since forever. I don't let them get too hot, but break in procedure is just not in my itinerary. Now I do agree with Jim's last statement.... If there's no harm, why not?
Kinda falls in line with the old saying from the 60's "If it feels good, do it". It couldn't possibly hurt.
Happy Easter, y'all!

yobuck
03-31-2013, 10:35 AM
one reason would be because barrels are like people no 2 are exactly alike.
it's not uncommon for serious match shooters to buy and chamber several barrels.
then use the best one.
just a few years back having barrels frozen in order to have the molecules properly alligned was all the rage among shooters.
had someone set a new record after having his barrel frozen rest assured it would still be popular.
so would wearing a red beany with a propeller for that matter.
fact is opinions on things are changing constantly. even among the experts.