PDA

View Full Version : Rimfire for Hogs

thirty06
03-26-2013, 10:06 AM
Here in Arkansas if you hunt hogs on public land you can only hunt during an open season and only with weapon legal for that animal.
There is no hog season, squirrel season opens May 15th. so rimfire and shotgun (small shot) only.
What would you recommend, and what about shot placement.

cheapshot
03-26-2013, 11:46 AM
I have seen hogs taken with a 17hmr and 22 magnums. Shot placement is key. Anywhere in the eye usually works just fine. Doesn't have to be dead center. ;)

jb6.5
03-26-2013, 12:25 PM
We've killed them with 17hmr with 20 gr game point, fmj, and xtp. Last time I carried mine got 2 about 100 lbs each. Shot one in the head the other in the shoulder. Droped both of them. The shoulder shot missed the bone and exited the off side. They wasn't big hogs but still impressed me.

BRIAN G
04-09-2013, 04:30 PM
17HMR 20grFMJ through the earhole. Make sure you have a good rest and I don't shoot unless I'm really confident I can make the shot.
Hogs are vermin, but I still hate to wound any animal and let it get away. Especially ones that tasty.

WuzYoungOnceToo
04-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Hogs are vermin, but I still hate to wound any animal and let it get away. Especially ones that tasty.

This. ^ Feral hogs need to be killed, as often as possible. But they're still living creatures that are just doing what nature has equipped them to do to survive and reproduce, not some evil force that deserve a slow, agonizing death. The same effort should be made to dispatch them as humanely as possible that you would afford deer or any other animal you hunt.

rug357
06-02-2013, 02:36 AM
You can use 22 mag on meat hogs very effectively.
Shoot for the brain.
Just make sure of your shot.