PDA

View Full Version : Savage 12 optics rail holes off center

tucansam
03-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Gang,

I have a .223 that started life as a 12FV ten years ago. I had a two-piece base installed and the rifle shot great. I recently upgraded to a one-piece 20MOA base and it has revealed that the four tapped holes on the top of the receiver are canted to the left. I looked at the base, tried a different brand base, and have the same result.

I have very simple tools and an even simpler mind, so let me try to explain what I am seeing here.

When I torque down the base (a Weaver 20MOA single rail in this case) the base is very evidently canted to the left (from the shooter's position). If the receiver was a clock face, the vertical center line of the base would be pointing at the 11:58 position, more or less.

If I loosen the base's bolts, I can lift the left side of the base and get the vertical center line to point at 12:00 (as far as my eyes can tell).

I've tried shimming the left side of the base with tin foil, just to get an idea of what kind of variation I'm looking at, and after six layers laid on the left side of the receiver tap holes, I am still way, way off. Plus I don't trust aluminum foil to stay in place.

I hope I am explaining this so you can visualize what I'm talking about.

When I take the base off, and examine the four holes, they are very clearly drilled slightly off-center (to the left) from the center line of the receiver. Again, as far as my eyes can tell (like I said, simple tools). But if my eyes can detect a variation, surely it must be significant.

I have calipers, but have no real way to measure this, as I don't know how to get to the true center of the receiver without taking it to a machinist or gunsmith.

I've heard that this problem is common in the 12 receiver, and that some guys are shimming the mount to get it right. I'd like to do the same.

I have bedded the rails on other rifles, and was wondering if I could bed this in its "true" 12 o'clock position. Only problem is I have no way of keeping it at its (perceived) true position while my bedding material cures (24 hours) other than, well, holding it.

Should I be looking to Savage to fix it? I've heard that their new management will not fix "old" rifles, and am wondering if my ten-year-old model 12 falls in that category.

If I can shim one side of the base, or better yet bed it, and get the base to true up completely, I will be satisfied.

Advice welcome!

palerider338
03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
I'd call Savage for starters and explain the problem to them. You never know ,they might take a look at it.

Barring that then shim and bed the rail in the correct position. Just use a partial shim to bed it; then once that has cured go back and bed where the shim was. I use those non-marring quick adjust one handed clamps ( for when you need 3 hands ) to clamp it. If you are using JB Weld let it stiffen up for a bit....makes it easier to work with.

Anybody else out there have any other suggestions ??