PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle break

N1YDP22
03-24-2013, 03:59 PM
i have a 116 with a muzzle break on it.dont it turn to close the ports.i cant turn mine.it has knurling on it to grip it.i even had a pipe wrench on it,still would not turn

big honkin jeep
03-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Lube iiside the ports with some penetrating oil preferably Kroil. Let it sit overnight. Wrap a leather belt or something else around the knurling to protect it from damage. Grab it with some vice grips and rock it back and forth. If it dosent give then lube it up again and wait another day. Try to rock it again. It will give up eventually. Once you get it working again close it after shooting it and give it a little shot of CLP and work it back and forth. It won't lock up again if you do this after shooting.
Good luck.

hunter540
03-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Try hanging the rifle by the butt with the brake submerged in Brake Free or Kroil for a couple of days or more... then try it again.
I use an old prescription pill bottle just wide enough to fit the brake and deep enough to completely submerge the threads. Works good for stuck shotgun choke tubes also. Once its free... clean it often and give it a shot of Brake Free and work the muzzle brake back and forth. If it's really stuck use a piece of an old leather belt around the knurling and use channel lock pliars on it.

hunter540
03-24-2013, 07:21 PM
I agree with big honkin jeep... we must have been typing the answers at almost the same time.