PDA

View Full Version : looking for screw dimensions

scythefwd
03-24-2013, 03:55 PM
I've got a savage 110 but I've swapped out the stock and had some pillars made. The screw is countersunk, so much that its too long. The head on the front action screw is starting to strip, so I might as well replace it....

It came from a wood stock and is considerably too long, so I'm thinking the screws form the poly stocks might work. Whats the length difference from the wood stocked screws and the poly stock screws?

And does anyone have a spare??

I know they're 1/4x28.. but what are the lengths of the two different screws?

Thanks folks.

palerider338
03-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Boyds has them in stock + you can get them from a bolt & nut supply place. Had to drill my front one out.....replaced it with a 1 " one but had to trim it so it wouldn't interfere with the bolt closing properly. Check it when you tighten it all the way in to see how much to grind off.

stangfish
03-26-2013, 10:16 AM
If you stick a screw in the stock and measure what is protruding into the action bed you can then determine the length you need. Subtract that length fron the shank of the screw and add . 187 to .250.

scythefwd
03-27-2013, 04:58 PM
went a different route, but you gave me the right idea stang...

The pillar inside depth was 1", and it was countersunk. I went and got a 1" socket head screw (more bearing surface, and it's countersunk enough to actually hide the screw head still). I just took a 3/8 bit and countersunk it a little more. That 1" screw is flush inside the action with the bottom of the action for maximum thread engagement and fits the pillar I got perfectly. Its a different sized allen wrench than the rear screw, but I'm ok with that. Both lock in very tight.

taxidermyguy
03-27-2013, 08:29 PM
i have some SS 1 3/4 inch 1/4-28 button head capscrews they work great have to trim them to length but they are sweet