PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever painted a B&C medalist stock?

quickkillaught6
03-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Ok ladies and gents, just picked up my first B&C stock, fit an finish are nice but its Tan with black Web, not my cup of tea. anyone have first hand experience with said stock? I'm going to shoot the gun first to make sure its a good stock, barreled action combo before stripping it down and painting it. Any help would be appreciated. I have been looking through the forum for over an hour and only found one thread with 3 comments and nothing to help my cause. Thanks for the help and advice in advance.

goinssr
03-23-2013, 10:30 PM
Nothing wrong with painting that stock. I assume you are talking about using Krylon, Rustoleum, etc. As wih any finish whether it be paint, Duracoat, Cerakote, etc. the prep is the key. Make certain it is clean and degreased. It should not require any stripping, just a very good degreasing. Another plus is to make sure it is very dry before handling it at all. If it says to let dry for 24 hrs. then give it 48. That's one of my own rules but it helps in not giving in to the urge to start putting the gun back together too quick and scratching the finish. The texture of the B&C should hold the paint very well. Rock on and post pics when you get 'er done.

Rooster 50
03-24-2013, 12:19 AM
Yes i have done it. I took a right handed Medalist and converted it to leftie and painted it tan with black spider webbing. Worked fine except that i shot it before the last coat of clear coat was comepletely dry and it is a little cloudy on the bottom of the forearm. I ordered my unpainted so i had a lot of sanding to do to get the mold marks out of it!

quickkillaught6
03-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Thank you rooster, mine is currently a factory finish and I didn't know how much of a pain it was to strip the factory finish off I've painted Choate stocks before with no problems prep work is all of it, paint and primer will only stick as long as the prep work is done properly. Just never had to strip a factory finish off thanks all for the insite. I'll keep y'all posted.

FW Conch
03-25-2013, 10:23 PM
"quick", I don't think you need to "strip" the factory finish on that stock. I would just "rough" it up with some 400grit wet sand paper, clean it real good (as suggested above) and "paint away" :) .... Good Luck .... Jim

quickkillaught6
03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Thank you guys I will post pics after I get through with her :-)