PDA

View Full Version : Criterion barrels prefer Sierra over Hornady bullets?

mattri
03-23-2013, 07:22 PM
I own a number of Criterion barrels, from 30" bulls to sporters on hunting rifles and couldn't be happier with them. They're all extremely accurate, clean up great etc.

One thing that I have noticed about every Criterion I've shot is that they seem to prefer Sierra bullets over Hornadys. They shoot the Hornadys fine, but the Sierras always do a little better. This is in multiple calibers, with multiple loads, testing various powders, seating depths etc. When all variables are left consistent, every Criterion I own shoots a comparable Sierra bullet better than a Hornady, from a-max to sst to interlock to v-max etc.

Ironically I found this out because I really like Hornady bullets and was trying to make them work in various builds.

Has anyone else seen anything like this?

Not saying its an across the board fact by any means, just something I found interesting.

stomp442
03-23-2013, 08:05 PM
I have always found the sierras to shoot better regardless of barrel or rifle make with one exception in my 6.5-284. I have also found that the sierras all weigh out better on thescale too.

mattri
03-23-2013, 09:20 PM
Interesting. Don't know if its just a coincidence or what.

snowgetter1
03-23-2013, 10:59 PM
I am with stomp442. Sierra's always shoot better, but cost more too.

mattri
03-24-2013, 09:07 AM
Just put a 30" 7mm-08 Criterion on a PTA, was hoping to use 120 vmaxs for varminting and 162 amaxs for target work, love their high bcs and low cost. Just starting to work up loads, we'll see what she likes.

redmister
03-24-2013, 09:37 AM
I agree with stomp442. In my experience there is not an interaction between CBI barrels and Sierra bullets. The effect is Sierra bullets; most match-grade barrels, regardless of manufacturer for which I have developed a load, prefer Sierra bullets. Naturally the ability to discern bullet effect diminishes with decreasing barrel quality. That is to say that bullet type effect interacts with barrel quality. So, your observations may be the result of CBI barrels being the only barrel that you have loaded for that is capable of discerning the effect of bullet manufacturer. What is your experience with this observed bullet effect with other barrels?

mattri
03-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Excellent observation.

In the other aftermarket barrels I have tried, a couple Shilens and one McGowen, there was no clear margin of one manufacturer over another. Having said that, I have been shooting Criterions exclusively for the last couple of years, and have been primarily focusing on Hornady and Sierra bullets.

There are obviously a plethora of bullet makers to choose from, these are simply the two brands that seem to offer the most choices for the most applications at a decent price. I've had good luck with Noslers in the past, very limited experience with Bergers, they didn't do any better than the others. I've heard that Swifts are great hunting bullets, don't know that they work any better than a GameKing or an Interbond.

One of the greatest frustrations and one of the greatest joys of this sport is figuring out what a barrel likes.

stomp442
03-24-2013, 11:33 AM
I run Bergers out of all my stuff not because they shoot any better than the sierras for accuracy but because they offer a much higher B.C. in most cases which comes in handy for long range hunting and shooting. The other thing I like about them is that my match bullet is also my hunting bullet, there is no switching bullets and loads and changing scope come ups when it comes time to go hunt something. They are also absolutely devastating on game. The sierra game king is my 2nd bullet of choice though, it also performs great at long range.

If your interested go check out the forum over on noslers website there is a bunch of guys over there that do bullet tests with different bullets to test expansion and penetration. They play favorites with the nosler bullets of course but they do have others listed as well.

rrflyer
03-25-2013, 12:55 AM
I use the 140amax.

I agree that the 142 smks shot better but at half the price the amax is still a great performer. Also a really good hunting bullet which makes life easy.

smlzerolimit
03-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Sierra's are just better bullets Period ! Hornady's are made cheaper just like Noslers. If you look at any target competition it's either sierra or Bergers, no one ever shoots hornady ! I don't even waste my money on them unless im plinking pistol !

BoilerUP
03-25-2013, 09:20 AM
Sierra's are just better bullets Period ! Hornady's are made cheaper just like Noslers. If you look at any target competition it's either sierra or Bergers, no one ever shoots hornady ! I don't even waste my money on them unless im plinking pistol !

I don't compete...but the 75gr HPBT shot many 5-round sub-half MOA groups from a factory Savage 12FV 26" 1:9 223 barrel for me.

Even if Sierras were "better", I'm not certain I could shoot the difference...and I'm pretty certain a majority of reloaders can't, either.

I did find my Black Hole Weaponry 18" 1:8 AR barrel greatly preferred 77gr Nosler CCs to the 75gr HPBT, with the Hornady bullets shooting just under MOA and the Noslers shooting right at 0.5 MOA. And the Nosler 77s shoot every bit as good as Sierra 77s, but cost a substantial amount less.

Bradley Walker
03-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Sierra's are just better bullets Period ! Hornady's are made cheaper just like Noslers.

To compare Hornady's to Noslers is just wrong... I would really love to hear how you came to the conclusion Noslers are "made cheaper"... Most of my Noslers mic out and sort out BETTER than Sierrra and many runs are second only to Bergers.

...but in retrospect keep telling everyone Noslers are "cheap". With the current shortages I think that is the best idea.

stomp442
03-26-2013, 12:34 PM
I don't think noslers are cheaper than sierras at least around here and they come in 50 count boxes rather than 100 like most everybody else.

BoilerUP
03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
I don't think noslers are cheaper than sierras at least around here and they come in 50 count boxes rather than 100 like most everybody else.

Nosler Custom Competitions are a fair bit cheaper than Sierra Matchkings.

Now if you start talking Ballistic Tips, Accubonds or Partitions vs. Gamekings...that goes out the window.

Bradley Walker
03-26-2013, 05:30 PM
Nosler Custom Competitions are a fair bit cheaper than Sierra Matchkings.

Now if you start talking Ballistic Tips, Accubonds or Partitions vs. Gamekings...that goes out the window.

I thought the inference was "cheaply made". The price was not of a concern. Just the quality. I thought.

In that respect Noslers are not "cheap". That's crazy talk.

redrockranger
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
Jacket concentricity ?