PDA

View Full Version : My latest coyotes!

J.J.
03-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Hey folks!
I thought I would stop by and give an update on some of my latest critters. I have been busy with family stuff the last few weeks but I hope to get back out before the temps heat up!
The coyote in the picture with me and Magnus was shot with his rifle but the other two were shot with my Edge!
Yep, I purchased it when it was an Edge! :)

First coyote ~
I had a friend, Magnus, travel from Germany to predator hunt with me early February! A coyote was in his top 50 list so he made the trip!
We head to a new property I had just got permission to hunt. The temps were a bit warm for this time of year but we made do. With the warmer temps we had some very heavy fog!
But we did not let that dampen our spirits!

We get to the property and to the spot I had picked out for the first set and I discover a hog carcass that I would assume the land owner, who hunts them with dogs, discarded to bait coyotes for me.
Well my thought now is that, with a stripped 100 pound hog carcass, I had a bunch of well fed coyotes that didn't need to take any risk for a meal! But we set up any way!
I tried to make the fattened coyotes think some intruders were now feeding on the remains with some coyote vocals!
Well after about 20 minutes I was losing hope. Then I spotted movement through the fading fog. It was probably over 500 yards out and crossing from one tree line to the next. I pointed it out to Magnus and he saw it as it crossed the last opening. I switched to a cardinal death cry on the Turbo Dogg and try to draw it in.. After a few seconds that seemed like minutes with no sign, a couple of crows lifting off from the field alerted us to the path of approach of the coyote. Shortly after that we spotted the coyote appearing through the fog.
It paused for a bit and then continued and adjusted it's route to check the wind. Magnus swung his rifle over to try to get the coyote in his cross hairs but the coyote continued to our right pushing Magnus to the limit of his range of movement.
It paused one more time and I told Magnus to take the shot when he had it. Just as he was applying pressure on the trigger it take a few more steps and it gets our wind turns and bolts! I tell Magnus to get on it and I bark it to a stop! It takes a few more steps and turns for the perfect broad side shot! But before lead can be launched it takes off again but Magnus makes a great 105 yard moving shot to drop his first coyote!

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/jdj85/Misc/P1000018.jpg

Second coyote ~
The next weekend and my next chance to hunt and the weather man said there were some clouds and possible rain in the area but shouldn't start until mid morning so I thought I would try to get in a stand or two!

Well I went to a new place this morning to call for the first time. It was about a 30 minute drive from the house. I get to the spot and get geared up and I am just about to lock the truck and head out and I hear what sounds like a bird hopping around in the bushes.

I take off the hood of my coat and listen real good and I realize it is rain drops! :(
Oh well, I am hear! I had might as well give it a try!
Be sides, it is only a few drops.

So I get set up and wait for shooting light and it gets be a steady mist!
I start questioning my decision to drive all of this way!

With the clouds shooting light is a bit late this morning. As I am straining to see across the field the rain picks up! It is now a light rain!

I am now debating on leaving!

Then God let this coyote walk out of the wood line in the perfect spot! If she came out a bit further I would not have been able to see her. Much closer and she might have got my scent in the swirling winds.
She was about 75 yards away and dropped her head on a scent right as she cleared the tree line.
I lip squeaked her to a stop and barked off a 55 gr hand rolled V-Max!
BANG FLOP! DRT!
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/jdj85/Misc/2-15-13F34lb15oz3.jpg
She was a very healthy female that weighed in at 35 lbs and had a very nice fur for our area!

Third coyote ~
Then on Feb 22nd (the next weekend), I went to scout a new property in Southwestern Arkansas that I just got permission to hunt and ended up making a stand.
I have been a bit under the weather lately and even missed a couple days of work this week so I wasn't planning on hunting.
After assisting him and his Father branding a few calves we went on the grand tour! A lot of open land with very little cover but it looks promising!
His neighbor has a 1200 acre game ranch that I also have permission to patrol
After the tour the land owner suggested I go try to call some in and twisted my arm!!

The wind and sun was exactly wrong so I decided I would just walk the wood line and find some spots to set up for the next visit. After walking about 700 yards from the truck I found a spot the would allow for a bit of an approach with the current wind. Even though the sun was directly in my eyes I figured I would give it a shot.
I started with some female howls and then followed up with some high pitched howls on my diaphragms.

Well about 10 minutes into the stand I spotted movement way off to my right. I glance through my scope and see a few crows bouncing around. They are down in a slight draw and keep going in and out of sight.

I let out another high pitched howl and waited and watched for a bit.
A few minutes later I catch movement by the crows again. Halfway discarding it as the crows I focused in on the area. This time it looked like a dark coyote head peaking up out of the draw! Was my eyes seeing what they wanted to see or was this actually a coyote?
I looked through the scope as it stepped up out of the draw and silhouetted in the setting sun was the darkest coyote I had ever seen!
I immediately started to pray, "Lord don't let me mess this up!!" rolleyes
It stood there a while looking for the coyote that had been talking to him. I let out a few lip squeaks and it would look my way but wasn't too interested! It was staring my way but wasn't moving.
I let out a soft high pitched howl again and it started meandering my way but angling to the downwind side! This goes on a bit until it is just under 200 yards and it is starting to get close to my scent cone so I decide if this is going to happen I am going to have to take it now.
I get the scope lined up and lip squeak again! He stops broad side at about 170 yards and I drop the hammer!
BANG! THWACK! Fur cyclone!!
I quickly chamber another round and just as I align the cross hairs it drops!

BLACK FUR DOWN!!
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/jdj85/photobucket-35327-1361580019444.jpg

The black coyote has been on my hit list since I started chasing fur. This was the first one I have seen in person, let alone called in!

Thanks for looking!

~ "JJ"

Wino
03-21-2013, 10:50 PM
Wow that black yote is awesome! I'd be getting that one mounted. Have you seen black ones before? I've been working on one that is very red in color. Almost like a red fox. Just gray/tan on the legs and face. But its a smart one and I only see it when I'm driving through a particular area. It never comes to the call and bolts the minute the truck slows down.

J.J.
03-22-2013, 01:01 AM
No sir! That was the 1st one!
Good luck with your red colored one!

r15reeper
04-05-2013, 02:42 PM
JJ that Black coyote is an awesome trophy. I would love to see one.
Congrats!
Later Pete

J.J.
04-08-2013, 12:36 PM
Thanks Pete!
I was pretty excited to see it myself! :)

yobuck
04-09-2013, 09:26 AM
very nice thanks for sharing. what are the glasses in the first pic?
they look to be in the 15x56 range. can you hand hold those?

stomp442
04-09-2013, 09:54 AM
Hey JJ good job on the yotes. I thought I recognized the screen name, welcome to savage shooters from a fellow BTO member.

J.J.
04-25-2013, 10:58 PM
very nice thanks for sharing. what are the glasses in the first pic?
they look to be in the 15x56 range. can you hand hold those?

Thanks yobuck!
The glasses are from Magnus' sponsor Minox and yes they are LARGE! They were not to heavy although Magnus toted them around!
But I think they were in the 10x52 range. We also went on a blackbuck hunt while he was in and we got a quick glimpse of one after dark. We could not see it with the naked eye but we could have taken the shot if the binoculars were the scope!
They have some quality optics!

J.J.
04-25-2013, 11:10 PM
Hey JJ good job on the yotes. I thought I recognized the screen name, welcome to savage shooters from a fellow BTO member.

Stomp! What's up brother!
Thanks for the kind words!

Are you still building those tack driver rifles?

J.J.
04-25-2013, 11:20 PM
With the wind out of the Northwest this particular morning I choose a spot that worked and headed out!
This property is a large cattle ranch about a half mile from the Red River with a portion of the property dedicated to waterfowl by Ducks Unlimited and another portion leased as a deer lease. Then there are 100s and 100s of head of cattle all over!

Coyote signs are heavy here but the amount of traffic I think has had them on edge. I also think some of the hunters may have been calling some as well. I once found a dead coyote that had been shot that was attributed to the lease members.

As I was gearing up at the truck I heard a couple of coyotes sound off. They were straight up wind (NW) from me and weren't far at all!
I chose to walk about a 1000 yards North to achieve a crosswind from where I thought they were.

The set up was perfect, the Northwest wind was right to left at about 7-10 mph. I was sitting against a large tree and the rising sun would be at my back. In front of me was one of the clearest pastures that butted up to the woods that I believed the howls came from.

I set the MOJO critter and the Turbo Dogg about 30 yards out and got settled in. I started off with a female howl on the Turbo Dogg and answered back with a young high pitched howl on my MFK diaphragm. After a few minutes I repeated the above sequence a couple of times. Nothing.
After another pause I switched to the Cardinal Death Cry and let it play for a few minutes. After still nothing and another pause scanning the field for movement I was now close the 20 minute mark in the stand and getting a bit concerned.
I switched to a great sounding call on the Turbo Dogg called Coyote Pup Frenzy and they could not resist it! :)

About 400 yards straight in front of me I catch movement! I take a peek through the scope and it's a coyote! As I focus with my eyes back to the coyote I see another 30 yards or so behind the first one. They stop on top of a knoll to try to find out what is going on.
Another low volume blast of the frenzy gets them to continue my way but they are now circling downwind and checking every little scent on the way.

As they start getting close to my scent cone I line up the scope on the trailing coyote (thinking I may be able to get some lead launched at the closer one before it disappeared) and let out a bark on my diaphragm and, just as scripted in my head, the coyote in my scope stops broad side at just over 150 yards and looks my way!
BANG! THWACK! FUR CYCLONE!
I quickly work the action as I find the other coyote heading straight away with tail tucked in fur rock mode! BUT, some quick ki-yis on my MFK diaphragm convinces this feller that he could not leave his girl! I think the fur cyclone he saw when he looked back may have helped my cause but none the less, he continued running but started to loop back around.
He made a couple of half circles around her as she finally ran out of gas and another loud bark caught his attention again and he stopped for the picture perfect broad side shot!
BANG! THWACK! FLOP!
Thank you Lord!

They were both of average size with the male tipping the scale at 35lbs 2oz and the female slightly smaller at 34lbs 7oz.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/jdj85/Misc/4-19-2013M35lb2ozF34lb7oz2.jpg:original (http://s946.photobucket.com/user/jdj85/media/Misc/4-19-2013M35lb2ozF34lb7oz2.jpg.html)

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/jdj85/Misc/4-19-2013double.jpg:original (http://s946.photobucket.com/user/jdj85/media/Misc/4-19-2013double.jpg.html)

Thanks for looking!

r15reeper
04-29-2013, 12:19 PM
Nice job JJ!

daniel brothers
04-29-2013, 12:35 PM
good story and good pics...

stomp442
04-29-2013, 12:35 PM
Another great story J.J.

And yes I'm still building when time and money permits.

shovelheadave
05-29-2013, 06:41 AM
Well done !!!!

J.J.
07-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate it!

Check this out, the picture above of the double was featured in a Pursuit Channel commercial!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4IqhSBDLvtE

J.J.
07-21-2013, 11:01 PM
Here is one I called in yesterday morning. The grass was real tall which made it difficult but my Edge made the 190 yard shot and removed another predator from the ranch. She was a scrawny female weighing in at 28lbs 9oz.

http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad308/jdj85/28lb8ozfemalewithReeseEdiaphragm-6.jpg (http://s946.photobucket.com/user/jdj85/media/28lb8ozfemalewithReeseEdiaphragm-6.jpg.html)

snowgetter1
07-23-2013, 12:04 AM
That black dog is awesome.

J.J.
10-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Hey if any of you guys are on facebook do me a quick favor.
The photo up above of the two coyotes is in photo contest and the photo with the most likes wins a real nice hunting light!
I am in a distant second but with a bit of help from you guys I think I can catch first!
All you have to do is click the like button on my photo. Here is a link to the photo.
https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=480196482077508&set=a.480196328744190.1073741839.426811857415971&type=1&theater

If, like me, you don't like to click on just any link then you can find Predator Hunters Outdoors (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Predator-Hunter-Outdoors/426811857415971) on facebook and then find the album titled "Predator and Hog Kill Photo Contest" and then find my photo with the two coyotes!

Thanks so much for any help and if you give a like comment and let me know where you saw the post at!!

sniper15545
10-15-2013, 02:08 PM
I love that black dog! I live in Pennsylvania and have hunted west central Illinois for about 11 years. I've noticed the yotes out there are much easier to hunt then our easterns are. I've killed prob. a dozen or so out west and only 2 here at home. Yotes here are really large and call shy. Penn State ran dna testing on several hundred yotes here in PA to check for any domestic dog genes. The didn't find any domestic dog genes however they did find wolf genes in every coyote they tested. I thought that was pretty interesting, It would explain size and call shyness.

J.J.
10-15-2013, 02:58 PM
Thanks sniper! I was pretty excited about the black one!
I don't know if we are considered out west or eastern, but we don't really fit either.
Out west a large coyote may be just over 30 lbs and a big one in the east may break 50 lbs. For us 40 lbs is not uncommon and 50 is not unheard of. We don't have the open prairies like they do even in west Texas. We have the thick piney woods scattered with a few cattle pastures. So in some ways we are similar to both.
We had the red wolf that was said to run this area up into the early 80s. They are on the endangered list now but I think they are more common then most lead us to believe. If you google the red wolf the pictures that come up look like the majority of our coyotes. The red wolf was not much bigger then the average coyote here but the mix would have increased the average a bit.
Many say there is no way a coyote and a domestic dog or a coyote and a wolf could cross breed but I have seen the proof. It happens.
It wasn't to long ago you guys didn't have many coyotes up your way. They are spreading fast!
Stay on em! ;)