PDA

View Full Version : Question for range barrel swappers

bsekf
03-21-2013, 10:30 AM
I realize the POI will change but how about the accuracy? Will your .5 gun still shoot .5 after a barrel swap? Do you have any special method to assure accuracy?

I am building a new 2 barrel rifle. One stock, one action, 2 quality barrels with the same contour and 2 different calibers. I am wondering if the sweet spot load will change when I change barrels. I realize the headspace can/will be off by .0005 to .001, will that effect accuracy?

Bill

seanhagerty
03-21-2013, 10:37 AM
I am not shooting benchrest, nor have I seen a noticable difference in accuracy. POI does shift slightly.

Sean

bsekf
03-22-2013, 08:52 AM
Hum, only one reply. Does this mean you guys with the "super accurate" Savages are not switching barrrels around? 82 Boy where are you?

Bill

Nor Cal Mikie
03-22-2013, 09:29 AM
Every one of my Savage rifles is a switch barrel rig. Can't expect them to be "right on the money" when moving things around.
If it was accurate before you messed with it, it should still be accurate after you messed with it. Might have to do a little scope adjusting but your loads should be the same.
Knowing what it did before you swapped thing around gives you something to work for. And a little more trigger time never hurt anybody.

82boy
03-22-2013, 10:19 AM
Hum, only one reply. Does this mean you guys with the "super accurate" Savages are not switching barrrels around? 82 Boy where are you?
Bill

Yes POA will change, as each barrel has it own bows and diferences. The question is; why would accuracy change? If you setting everything up the same way; why would it make a difference? What are you changing that would cause the barrel to react different? With that said, a barrel that shoots good will continue to shoot good even after you take it off and re-install it.

bsekf
03-22-2013, 02:00 PM
I knew the POI would change a litttle, my concern was the accuracy. I realize the headspace can/will be off by .0005 to .001, will that effect accuracy? My experience is limited, but have never gotten a barrel back on and had the headspace exactly the same. Probably overthinking this thing......again.

Bill

82boy
03-22-2013, 04:17 PM
I Probably overthinking this thing......again.

Yup.

fgw_in_fla
03-22-2013, 06:44 PM
[ Probably overthinking this thing......again. Bill[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are...
If you have an accuracy load for a specific barrel, remove that specific barrel to install a different one THEN, re-install the specific barrel with the already known accuracy load, it should still be reasonably accurate. A little tweaking may be in order.
I can't recall having any difficulties with barrel swapping. All of mine have been swapped out to where I don't remember what the original caliber was.

Just as long as you have fun.

Willoughby
03-22-2013, 06:59 PM
if you run over your & bend it while its off
the accuracy will change
just kiddin....
if the barrel was previuosly accurate on said receiver & you mark the barrel so ya get it right back to same headspacing so ya dont have to set up headspacing every time
it should shoot exactly the same as it did last time on that reciever with that headspacing
I have a 06-300wm I switch barrels on -both barrels markings recorded for next time'
I dont know for sure -but I feel like you could change a barrel to a different reciever & the accuacy would stay- move with the barrel
I may try it just to see -

82boy
03-22-2013, 09:43 PM
if you run over your & bend it while its off
-but I feel like you could change a barrel to a different reciever & the accuacy would stay- move with the barrel
I may try it just to see -
I will say that I have done it, and the load developed on the barrel, switched to another action will still work the same and shoot at the same leval of accuracy. I have swicthed it between several actions and never seen any difference.

seanhagerty
03-22-2013, 09:58 PM
I will say that I have done it, and the load developed on the barrel, switched to another action will still work the same and shoot at the same leval of accuracy. I have swicthed it between several actions and never seen any difference.

I find this interesting. That leads me to believe timing and trueing an action is not beneficial except for ease of action cycling.

82boy
03-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Well, I will say all the actions used was T&Ted.

bsekf
03-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Thank you gentleman, you have answered my question.

Bill